Print from Vista to a network WHS printer RRS feed

• Question

•  
    I want to run a few printers from my Windows Home Server (WHS). As a typical example I loaded on to WHS the latest HP WHS driver for a HP 4050T LaserJetprinter. Its their newest "Universal driver" whatever that actually means.  Anyway I can print from the WHS computer immediately and perfectly fine.  Likewise if I assign any XP machine the WHSas a network printer and it too prints fine and immediately.

Here's the problem.... if I try to connect this exact same printer up to my Vista (business) machine, first it takes about 5 minutes to configure. It then takes forever to print even the test page.  I have a gadget that shows net activity. "Signals" are sent spaced apart 5-20 seconds apart between the two computers. I read extensively over the web forums and tried the obvious things such as:-

Disconnecting the Vista firewall - No difference

With gpedit.msc etc enabling the rendering of print jobs on the server, (normally unconfigured) - No difference.

In "Add printer" instead of adding the printer as a network printer, adding the printer as a local port using Server:printer name. - No difference.

I can even run the printer from a TrendNet TE100-P21 Print server box. It runs fine with Vista as well.  This appears to be a problem with another HP Printer (a 5600), as well. Prints fine as a network printer with XP, five minutes per page with Vista!

There seems to be something slowing the Vista communication to the printer(s) on WHS to a crawl.  This is not the case for any other communication between Vista and WHS (e.g. file transfers).

I have spent an enormous amount of time and frustrating trying to figure out what the problem is. I would really appreciate some help from experts here.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:21 AM

Answers

• Great news, over on the microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing newsgroup somebody by the name of "RehabMan" gave me a very simple solution:-

"I had a very similar problem trying to share a printer between two
    Vista machines (one desktop, one laptop).  In my case, adding as a local
    printer fixed the problem.  So you might want to double check it... Only
    difference is I set the printer up as a local printer first (I even
    connected it with the USB port), then after it was all setup and
    working, I disconnected it, hooked it back to the server, then went into
    properties (Ports... Add Port) for the printer and changed the local
    port to the UNC name at the server (\\server\Deskjet722)."

This worked for my two different printers attached to the WHS. A parallel port HP 4050T LaserJet and a USB port HP 5860 Color printer. For Vista the 5860 is configured as a 5600 as suggested by HP on their web site.  First running setting them up on my Vista box. I check they are OK. Then I switch leads. Set them up on my WHS. Check they are OK.  Then on the Vista I do as suggested above. Works great! So simple I cannot believe others did not know about it.

• Marked as answer by monahan_z Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:39 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:36 PM

All replies

• Probably you have a driver (on your Vista install) which is not fully compatible with Vista. Please remove printer and completely uninstall HP printer drivers and associated software on both the Vista and WHS machine, reboot both after uninstall. Then get latest printer driver from HP, install on WHS using instructions you can find in my post in this thread. Also make sure to choose install Additional drivers for Vista version (step 4).

If this doesn't fix it you could (after removing printer and uninstalling drivers) try too install printer driver locally, then configure Standard TCP/IP printerport (use IP address of server instead of name) to connect.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:07 AM
  • When I looked at the "this tread" URL mentioned above it referred to a Windows Server 2003 "Manage Your Server Wizard".  This does not seem to come with WHS. Anybody got a suggestion
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Given that your printer works with a print server box, and not when connected to and shared from Windows Home Server, why not use the printer server box? Windows Home Server is not designed to, and therefore doesn't have any interfaces or controls for, sharing printers on your network.

Regarding how to configure the printer on your server, the pointer brubber provided is incomplete, in that it A) doesn't mention that this is an unsupported function, and B) that if you want to pursue it anyway, you must log in to your server using a keyboard, video, and mouse that are locally connected, or alternatively using Remote Desktop to connect to the server. But it's otherwise correct.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:51 AM
  •  Ken, the reason I would like to NOT use the TrendNet print server is that it has one quirk I cannot seem to solve. It has to do with running a HP 5860 DeskJet printer from it. Since I use Vista on some machines I have to go to the lowest common dominator driver HP suggests for Vista+XP+WHS. It's a HP5600 DeskJet. If I print via the above print server from an XP box a long document with graphs etc it mysteriously hangs after a few pages. Different spots each time! This BTW does not happen if I run the printer from WHS with this same 5600 driver.   It's only with printing from Vista to the WHS I have this frustrating slow printing problem.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:20 PM
  • monahan_z said:

Ken, the reason I would like to NOT use the TrendNet print server is that it has one quirk I cannot seem to solve. It has to do with running a HP 5860 DeskJet printer from it. Since I use Vista on some machines I have to go to the lowest common dominator driver HP suggests for Vista+XP+WHS. It's a HP5600 DeskJet. If I print via the above print server from an XP box a long document with graphs etc it mysteriously hangs after a few pages. Different spots each time! This BTW does not happen if I run the printer from WHS with this same 5600 driver.   It's only with printing from Vista to the WHS I have this frustrating slow printing problem.

This is probably the result of using a GDI printer (also known as a WinPrinter). (I don't own the printer, so I can't be certain, but I'm 90% sure anyway.) The annoying quirk you mention with the print server box is also a symptom of a GDI printer. A GDI printer has almost all the intelligence in the drivers, pushing very simple data straight to the printer. This allows for simpler printer hardware (where complexity and processing power is very expensive) at the expense of complex drivers (on the PC where there's usually plenty of processing power). With the release of Vista, GDI is deprecated in favor of XPS. This introduces an additional level of translation between the application and the printer when you're using GDI drivers (which you must, because you can't install the Vista driver for WHS to use), and results in slow print speeds.

I don't really have any advice I think you're going to want to hear, because I'm not convinced you're going to get your current printer working with WHS in a way you'll find acceptable. The best option is probably to buy a newer printer (or all-in-one, which usually allows network scanning and faxing, plus copying) that has a built-in network interface of it's own. Network printers can be had for a couple of hundred dollars (or less; shop around), and usually work quite well. Another option is to buy a more expensive printer where the rendering engine is in the printer itself; usually a printer that claims to be PostScript compatible, or that has a PCL rendering engine or similar, will do the job.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Great news, over on the microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing newsgroup somebody by the name of "RehabMan" gave me a very simple solution:-

"I had a very similar problem trying to share a printer between two
    Vista machines (one desktop, one laptop).  In my case, adding as a local
    printer fixed the problem.  So you might want to double check it... Only
    difference is I set the printer up as a local printer first (I even
    connected it with the USB port), then after it was all setup and
    working, I disconnected it, hooked it back to the server, then went into
    properties (Ports... Add Port) for the printer and changed the local
    port to the UNC name at the server (\\server\Deskjet722)."

This worked for my two different printers attached to the WHS. A parallel port HP 4050T LaserJet and a USB port HP 5860 Color printer. For Vista the 5860 is configured as a 5600 as suggested by HP on their web site.  First running setting them up on my Vista box. I check they are OK. Then I switch leads. Set them up on my WHS. Check they are OK.  Then on the Vista I do as suggested above. Works great! So simple I cannot believe others did not know about it.

• Marked as answer by monahan_z Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:39 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Great! I hope that continues to work for you. I still don't like it much, to be honest. :)

As for not knowing about it, well, I "know about it" (all you did was set up an environment where the drivers would install properly) but to be honest I discounted it as what you'd already tried should have produced an identical end result.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:04 PM