Live and I have had a major problem with it..... RRS feed

• Question

•  

I installed Windows Live One Care 2.0 on my computer along with “VISTA” Small Business. Please note: that I originally had Norton 360 on this computer and it worked fine. NOW!! Once I installed “Live” this computer even “Microsoft” downloads will not download. Online videos; will not play and all I get is HOTFIX stopped working. At this point in time “LIVE” is the worst thing you can put on a computer next to VISTA itself. This is no joke this is how I believe at this point. “NOW” I have up graded EXPLORER 8 the other day and it is a disaster and not working correctly at all. The question is simply this: anyone know how “LIVE” is to be setup to work correctly as I do not have any children at home and I do not need most of the “whatever” protection. I just need the firewall and the various protection and to be able to download up-dates! Can anyone help?

Note: Norton 360 and "ALL" files are removed from this computer... I think!  

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:18 PM

Answers

• I don't know what Vista Small Business is, unless you mean that you are running Vista Business edition on your computer. You are also not running OneCare 2.0, though the CD you used might have had that label on it. During the installation, the latest bits were installed from the web and that would be version 2.5.
    If you had Norton 360 on the PC, it is probably still partially there, if the install of OneCare has blocked your connectivity. Use the Norton Removal tool to clean it off of your system -  

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

With the multiple issues you are dealing with I strongly recommend that you remove IE8 from the PC, too. It is a beta. Although it generally runs well, it can still be unstable as it is not a released or supported version of IE.

"Live" can mean any number of things. If you are specifically referring to Windows Live OneCare, you can call it OneCare. Setting it up on a single PC should be easy and would normally only require that you identify your network as Home/Work or Public, if you did not already do this in Vista Network and Sharing Center. You would also be prompted to configure backup, which can be disabled. Other than these two things, setting up OneCare should not require additional steps unless you have a special configuration.

If your PC originally had XP on it and you did not remove Norton 360 before upgrading to Vista, that could well be a problem. If you installed OneCare on XP and then upgraded to Vista, you can also face issues.

If you need help with OneCare you can contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:30 PM

All replies

• I don't know what Vista Small Business is, unless you mean that you are running Vista Business edition on your computer. You are also not running OneCare 2.0, though the CD you used might have had that label on it. During the installation, the latest bits were installed from the web and that would be version 2.5.
    If you had Norton 360 on the PC, it is probably still partially there, if the install of OneCare has blocked your connectivity. Use the Norton Removal tool to clean it off of your system -  

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

With the multiple issues you are dealing with I strongly recommend that you remove IE8 from the PC, too. It is a beta. Although it generally runs well, it can still be unstable as it is not a released or supported version of IE.

"Live" can mean any number of things. If you are specifically referring to Windows Live OneCare, you can call it OneCare. Setting it up on a single PC should be easy and would normally only require that you identify your network as Home/Work or Public, if you did not already do this in Vista Network and Sharing Center. You would also be prompted to configure backup, which can be disabled. Other than these two things, setting up OneCare should not require additional steps unless you have a special configuration.

If your PC originally had XP on it and you did not remove Norton 360 before upgrading to Vista, that could well be a problem. If you installed OneCare on XP and then upgraded to Vista, you can also face issues.

If you need help with OneCare you can contact support.

-steve
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:30 PM
  •  

Well thank you for the information: let me pass on to you what I have installed. Windows VISTA Business with SERVICE PACK 1… Windows LIVE OneCare 2.0 winxp/vist.

Now; I ran the NORTON REMOVAL TOOL you suggested and I got this msg…: Norton Removal Tool has stopped working… A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you IF a solution is available. This is what happened when I ran the program… When I removed Norton 360 I also removed the Symantec files that had been left behind I think I saw this someplace at the time to do this…

One more time; I never had a problem with updates or video playback on this computer UNTILL I installed LIVE OneCare all I now get is HOTFIX has stopped working and / or a problem caused….  and I cannot fix this problem and the only way I can see to fix this is to reformat the hard drive and start over and then NOT put in Live OneCare at all this time… No one has been able to tell me how to turn off whatever it is OneCare is doing long enough to get the updates installed as I cannot update directly from this computer… I have to copy it onto my portable hard drive off my other computer that has XP on it and transfer it to the one with Vista…. A ton of fun!  

Saturday, February 28, 2009 11:14 PM
  • As I noted, if you upgraded XP to Vista, with security software installed, all bets are off on it functionaing properly. If your removed Norton 360 before you upgraded or before you installed OneCare, then it is gone. If you removed files and registry entries manually, there may still be bits active. If the Norton cleaner fails to run, that would seem to indicate that there are other problems with the operating system and environment. I won't say that it isn't due to to OneCare, but I don't think it is. If have no idea why your have a problem with updates or video playback, but neither should be due to OneCare, but either can be due to having conflicting security software bits installed or a broken operating system.

-steve

Monday, March 2, 2009 8:22 PM
  •  

Thank You again for answering… OK; I have a Dell Computer that came right from dell WITH Vista Business installed direct from DELL…. Norton 360 was on it also and when it ran out of time I went and purchased “LIVE” at my local Wal Mart then removed 360 and installed “LIVE” as I have stated, the computer was working fine UNTILL I installed “LIVE”. OH! I also have 4k on the memory on the computer. See; the only thing I can see is a complete re-install to fix this. No one has been able to give me a clue as to what went wrong, however you tried! Thanks!

Monday, March 2, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information. How did you remove Norton 360?
    -steve
    Monday, March 2, 2009 9:17 PM
  •  

Well; I removed 360 with the program that came with it also, I removed the file folder for Symantec as well.  I have also tried to have "VISTA" repair itself but so far it has not worked OR I am not doing it right! Vista is on the hard drive and no disk came with the computer it must be restored... best guess..

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:59 PM