Questions about Vail. RRS feed

• Question

• Here’s a list. Do any of the options below have been addressed?

-One thing that annoys me greatly, as when client computers go to sleep, they cannot be awoken by a command in WHS to access remote desktop. Will WHS 2 have an option to wake the clients?

-I don’t understand why WMC is not integrated with WHS? I would like the server to double duty as a WMC and have it act as a DVR/PVR?

-Printer support, I should have all my UBS devices centralized with WHS, especially the printer, but would like to see support for My BlackBerry, Digital Camera, and what not.

-This one is my biggest pet peeve – With Windows 7, and Libraries, I have all my shell folders pointed to the WHS, however, in windows explorer, when I delete a file, it does not go into a recycle bin. The file is gone forever. This does not make sense, on the client side, local data has recycle bin, but not the shares on the WHS????

-Backup of shared folders in WHS… this is crazy, if all your shared folders from the clients are pointed to WHS, your most valuable files on there do not get backed up?

-Disk defrag built in

-MSE built in

-What would be really cool, is a client per client – schedule sleep and awake option, sorta like parental scheduler when it controls when a user can use the computer at certain times, in WHS have the option of clients to awake and sleep…on a schedule you can customize.

-Have a central health and Windows update, centralized for all clients, sorta like Action centre, but Centralized for in WHS. Like OneCare did, I miss that product.

-WMP 12 is a must, would like to see the “PLAY TO” option on WHS 2.

-Fix shadow copy “PREVIOUS VERSION”

-Have WHS 2 backup shared folders online as well, integration with Sky Drive? Space might be an issue though????

-Roaming profiles, It would be cool, let’s say I have 4 computers, that I can log in to any of them using my account, and have my desktop available.

That’s it.

Friday, February 12, 2010 3:23 PM

Answers

• There is no publicly available information about Vail. Everything you've seen is based on a leaked technology preview, so you should not regard it as final.

Watch the Windows Home Server team blog for more information as it becomes available.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:29 PM