With WLOC firewall on and installing new software - settings for IE changed

Question

• I tried installing Cisco's Net Magic software with my WLOC firewall on and my settings for IE chaged not allowing me access to my browser. Is it common to take off the firewall when downloading software from the net? I have not investigated exacting what caused the setting change to IE, just wondering if this happens to anyone else. What about the net magic product - does MS have a comprable product or better
    Thanks for the help.
    Monday, February 09, 2009 4:40 PM

Answers

• I'm going to move this to the Firewall topic folder.
    I am not familiar with the program that you are installing, but if it is manipulating the network stack, it is likely conflicting with OneCare, causing your issue. I suggest not installing Network Magic. What are you trying to gain by using it? Network Magic purports to simplify the process of configuring a home network. You can do that without the need to any additional programs.

What do you mean by not allowing access to your browser?

No, you should no need to turn off the firewall to install software, though some web based installers will fail because they are blocked, you are prompted to allow, and the web installer has exited in the meatime. When you launch the installer again, the process repeats.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 09, 2009 5:47 PM

All replies

• I'm going to move this to the Firewall topic folder.
    I am not familiar with the program that you are installing, but if it is manipulating the network stack, it is likely conflicting with OneCare, causing your issue. I suggest not installing Network Magic. What are you trying to gain by using it? Network Magic purports to simplify the process of configuring a home network. You can do that without the need to any additional programs.

What do you mean by not allowing access to your browser?

No, you should no need to turn off the firewall to install software, though some web based installers will fail because they are blocked, you are prompted to allow, and the web installer has exited in the meatime. When you launch the installer again, the process repeats.

-steve
    Monday, February 09, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Steve,

I completely removed network magic, turned on the firewall, and everything works fine again. I was trying the feature of network magic that shows if anyone has gotten on to my network, and enjoyed the usage reports it generated. Thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:09 AM
  • I'm glad that you were able to resolve the issue. As I noted, programs intercepting the network stack, such as a firewall and apparently Network Magic, may not co-exist very well.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:00 PM