Echo-Mode does not recover deleted or lost files/folders on the right side RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

from my understanding the "echo" mode of synctoy should recover deleted or lost files/folders on the right side ("right folders"). If I delete subfolders on the right side and run the "echo" mode, however, the subfolders are not recovered. Due to synctoy, no actions are required - even when I delete the corresponding *.dat file.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is this a well-known problem of synctoy? What is the solution?

Thanks!

• Edited by toby1705 Saturday, October 8, 2011 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:24 PM

All replies

• I guess that SyncToy is only looking for changes in the left folders (the ones to be echoed/mirrored). Is this normal for backup tools? I consider it to be a bug!

I know that the "synchronize" mode would guarantee that also the right folder is observed, but then also files of the left folder might be changed by SyncToy which shall be avoided in any case.

Any comments from the SyncToy experts? Thanks!

• Edited by toby1705 Saturday, October 8, 2011 3:28 PM
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 3:25 PM
  • I have the same problem. If I delete something on the right side I'd expect it to be recovered by the left at the next sync.

David

Sunday, October 9, 2011 7:45 AM
  • +1 - not only do I expect it to re-echo, but I can't figure out how to work around it...  Do I have to delete and recreate all the pairs?

Brian Moore [MSFT]
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:12 PM
  • I haven´t tried this work-around (deletion and recreating of all folder pairs) - but even if it works, the problem is that you first have to know that a file is lost (you may not know it, for example, when a file sytem errors occurs) - I expect SyncToy to check that automatically!

Is there any chance that MS accounts for that problem in future versions of SyncToy?

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:48 AM