Should i use SSIS or "MS Sync Framework" to achive following task RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I'm developing an application, in that i want some of data (selected tables) at different nodes to be sync with Central Database. And the updation should be one-way, means i just want to update date from nodes on daily basis, i don't want to share "Central Data" with local node.

Apart from the above two technologies, if any other can achive my requirement please suggest me!

Any kind of response is accepted

Thanks in advance

Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:44 PM

All replies

• what kind of transactions are you going to sync? inserts only? inserts/updates/deletes?

is there any chance that a row will be updated in more than one node?

what's the volume of rows to be synched? what's the client database?

if you dont have to deal with conflicts, SSIS would suffice...

if you have to deal with conflicts programmatically, Sync Fx may be more appropriate

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:17 AM
  • @June T,

first i'm thanking for response,

I'm giving clear idea of what i want to do, please go through the story(not long)

My plan is to provide a local MS-SQL(Express) DB, to End-Users (which is offline app developed with WinForms 4.0) , when ever they update records in some particular tables (as of now i pointed 5 tables), i want to sync all the newly added (INSERT) data & modified(UPDATE || DELETE) to my MS-SQL which will be hosted with my application on daily basis,

Here as of now, i'm having 5 clients(nodes) from where i often get data, And the structure of selected tables (Offline) & Tables in Online(hosted) is same.

In my case, there would be duplication of data(lot of chances), so i'm planning to perform clean up operation in my host application (IS it is good idea? or suggest new one).

Reason to choose offline app is - Faster access to end-User per client there would be 40-Read Only & 8-10 R/W users would be there.

I want to sync only data from nodes to hosted one,

------------

eargly waiting for response, Thanking again

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:34 PM
  • if you're going to have to deal with conflicting data (e.g., same row was updated on two different nodes) i suggest you go for Sync Framework.

In addition, if you wanted to setup n-tier with WCF, Sync Framework can also be configured in that setup so that your nodes dont directly connect to your central database but connect to a WCF service instead.

one other thing you should consider is the choice of PKs, if you went for an identity column, that will be an issue.

for example, Node 1 might insert row with PK 100 and Node 2 might insert the same row PK of 100, you now have a conflict.

Monday, May 21, 2012 3:08 PM
  • (e.g., same row was updated on two different nodes) i suggest you go for Sync Framework.

• Thanks for the valueble point, PK conflict

(e.g., same row was updated on two different nodes) i suggest y

In my application, i want to update rows from different nodes to a single node "Forward Only", not vice versa,

Monday, May 21, 2012 3:32 PM