Windows Validation RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I attempt to download any item from the Microsoft website I must Validate my Xp. It has been validated, and Validated, and, you get the idea. Why must I continue to have to do this. Is there no file I can download to stop having to do this. After a few dozen time I am beginning to feel insulted. I mean really. I am being put through the ringer as if I were a criminal. I don't mind Validating, even a few times, but this is ridiculous.
    Surly there is a file or some such I can install so that I don't have to continually endure this.

James
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:55 PM

Answers

•  FaTHeRwyd wrote:

Surly there is a file or some such I can install so that I don't have to continually endure this.

James

But then the download system would have to check for the presence of "the file" and this is exactly what validation does.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:25 PM

All replies

•  FaTHeRwyd wrote:

James

But then the download system would have to check for the presence of "the file" and this is exactly what validation does.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:25 PM
  • Something as similar to a cookie once the system has been validated would be more conveinent.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:28 PM
  • FaTHeRwyd,

It could be that easy and unobtrusive, but the black-helicopter crowd would send in their lawyers complaining that MS planted spyware on their computers.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:03 PM
  • lol, Sounds about right.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:15 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

FaTHeRwyd,

It could be that easy and unobtrusive, but the black-helicopter crowd would send in their lawyers complaining that MS planted spyware on their computers.

well.... in my opinion spyware it's the right word to describe Windows Genuine Advantage even without such a cookie.

1- it installed on my computer without asking anything to me in opposite to others updates

2- there is no (simple and fast) way to remove it

3- it keeps me asking to validate my os even if it's original and the test is passed (i'm not a criminal and i feel insulted from this)

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 1:34 PM
  •  Anonymous wrote:
     Dan at IT Associates wrote:

FaTHeRwyd,

well.... in my opinion spyware it's the right word to describe Windows Genuine Advantage even without such a cookie.

By any reasonable definition of "spyware," WGA Notifications is not spyware, basically because it does NOT spy on you and report back.

Anonymous wrote:
    1- it installed on my computer without asking anything to me in opposite to others updates

WGA Validation and Notifications has always been and remains an opt-in program.  You agreed to an EULA before WGA installed.

Anonymous wrote:
    2- there is no (simple and fast) way to remove it

That is correct, there is no Microsoft-supported removal path for WGA Validations and Notifications.

Anonymous wrote:
    3- it keeps me asking to validate my os even if it's original and the test is passed (i'm not a criminal and i feel insulted from this)

WGA validates your computer ONLY when you choose to partake of the nice-to-have content offered by MS to valued customers using Genuine Windows software.  If you feel that the Validation process is insulting, then it can be avoided completely by not requesting to download and install any WGA-protected content.  You can always tell which downloads at MS Downloads are protected WGA content because the descriptions will have the WGA "star" icon next to them.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/wga/default.mspx

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:27 PM
  •  FaTHeRwyd wrote:
    Every time I attempt to download any item from the Microsoft website I must Validate my Xp. It has been validated, and Validated, and, you get the idea. Why must I continue to have to do this. Is there no file I can download to stop having to do this. After a few dozen time I am beginning to feel insulted. I mean really. I am being put through the ringer as if I were a criminal. I don't mind Validating, even a few times, but this is ridiculous.

James
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:52 PM
  • While I dont feel as extreme as other in regards to it being Spyware, I do feel your response was a little " Corporate ". Surely it is not your intent to tell us oh, dont worry about it cause if you dont want it just refuse it. No problem, but of course any updates Microsoft might release will be unavailable to you, the paying customer. You do realize that your response is a little like saying, if you dont like it its ok. We simply wont give you any access to resources that will secure your system aswell as fix any issues due to programming errors....Thats pretty weak m8.

I was only trying to point out it would a little more convienent for the average user if it were in the form of a cookie, or some such. You know kinda like when one registered Windows Millenium. Now I realize due to Piracy it is difficult to get a reliable system of prevention. But it is a pain in the arse to "Click here to Validate" so often. I'm not saying Microsoft doesnt have every right to defend themselfs against Piracy. Not at all, more power to them. They gotta eat too.

Ahh, I am probly wasting my time. Just making an observation. Undoubtedly someone will retort with more Corporate slang to rebuke my heracy, lmao..

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:52 PM
  • Fatherwyd,

Critical security updates are delivered to all installations of XP that have Automatic Updates enabled regardless of whether that particular installation has WGA installed or not, and regardless of whether a given installation of XP is identified by WGA as genuine or nongenuine, so there's no concern that a system will be left "out in the cold" because critical updates were withheld.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:09 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. I dont mind personaly having authentisity verified. I just thought it would be easier all around. It is good to know updates were dependent upon wga. As I uninstalled it and couldnt retreive internet explorer updates. Thank for the info...But then again you did specify CRITICAL SECURITY updates.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:17 AM