General Observations, Part 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Installation was easy although quite long. No problems.

Backups take a very long time, and the process of adding foldres to the exclusion list is a bit convoluted.

A shortcut was placed on my desktop which allows me to browse the directories on the WHS (\\discovery in my case), but I am unable to add any of the subdirectores as a network drive: \\discovery\music for example.

After restarting the WHS, it took about 10 minutes for it to find our other PC, leaving it greyed out during that time.

The pie chart shows I have used 32gb of space for PC Backups, yet browsing any of the sharded directories show them all to be empty. Are the files hidden?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:01 AM

Answers

• Each backup is incremental, but when you use the restore and use the latest backup to restore from all of your files will be there. There is a great post in the FAQs here on the forums that explains the backup system really well.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:11 AM

All replies

• Backups are different than shared folders. Backups are made nightly by the Home Server of all your machines, and the shared folders are where you can store data. You will not be able to see the location of the backups, however you can thru the console open the backups to restore data from.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:03 AM
  • And the backups speed up considerably after the first one.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:21 AM
  •  rustylime.com wrote:

A shortcut was placed on my desktop which allows me to browse the directories on the WHS (\\discovery in my case), but I am unable to add any of the subdirectores as a network drive: \\discovery\music for example.

Do you mean you are trying to map a directory on the server to a network drive on a client?  If so, it is possible. The client configures the mapping.  As long as the folder is configured for sharing it can be mapped to a client. 

I created a folder called 'hold' into the root storage location on WHS.  I have that mapped as //server/hold to a free drive letter on all of my clients.  I use this mapped drive to copy misc. junk which has accumulated on the machines and sift through that folder on the server to file everything where it needs to go.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:32 AM
  • Thanks for the replys. Another question I have which I can't seem to find an aswer to with regards to the backups.

Are they incremental? My digital photos directory is among my specified backups. If I was to add a few more photos to it, will they be on the only files backed up in the next run? Or will it copy the entire folder over again?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:04 AM
  • Each backup is incremental, but when you use the restore and use the latest backup to restore from all of your files will be there. There is a great post in the FAQs here on the forums that explains the backup system really well.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:11 AM
  • yeah rusty, as tom said, future backups are incremental hence the speed pick up.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:30 AM