MSDNAA Vista Business N Product Key not recognised RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

My university is a member of the msdn academic alliance and I have been trying to install Windows Vista Business N.

When trying to install I input my key and I receive a message saying that the key is not recognised.

I was told to try to install Windows Vista Business N without a key and then try and activate once installed.

I tried this but when I try to activate windows it shows the same error message again saying the key is not valid. I don't think it is even connecting to the authentication servers - it just doesn't recognise the key as being a valid one so won't even try and validate.

I have confirmed with my University that the key is a valid one and they have even given me another key to try but that doesn't work either, giving the same invalid key message.

Many thanks in advance
    Chris

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0723.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: 0x1
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-QCRDJ-QK968-XFJCJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: SgvsMjBLdixYayCrrhj3+CAvuj0=
    Windows Product ID: 78425-007-3000202-70154
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.5744.2.00010100.0.0.016
    ID: 5b92d56c-23fc-4a23-a438-4dedb1b4a991
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Business N
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 5744.vista_rtm_edw.061003-1945
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details:
    <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>5b92d56c-23fc-4a23-a438-4dedb1b4a991</UGUID><Version>1.5.0723.1</Version><OS>6.0.5744.2.00010100.0.0.016</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XFJCJ</PKey><PID>78425-007-3000202-70154</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3491259880-1535958694-1088521562</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix
    Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2"
    minor="2"/><Date>20060530000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7D303507018400F6</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT
    Standard
    Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>

<Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Monday, January 8, 2007 7:37 PM

Answers

• I think you may be confusing Validation with Activation (two different services).

The diagnostics tool above is using a default product key - correct? Please keep in mind, the Product Keys you use for ACTIVATION must be able to be used on the CD. Meaning you have to have an N-type product key for an N-type CD.

Also, you have to be using an RTM key with an RTM CD, etc.

Are you using an RTM Key? RC2 Key?

The current installation you have is using RC2 CD.

-phil

Monday, January 8, 2007 8:50 PM

All replies

• How did you acquire your Windows Vista installation disc?  Did you obtain it from the university?
    Monday, January 8, 2007 8:13 PM
  • Chris:

On the activation screen, are you pushing "Next" or "Activate Windows Online Now"?

-phil

Monday, January 8, 2007 8:13 PM
  • Yes I burnt an iso from a machine at University.

en_windows_vista_x86_dvd_X12-34293.iso
    Monday, January 8, 2007 8:34 PM
  • I've tried both.

I receive a message saying the key is already in use if I push activate windows now - it uses the default key I think here.

Pushing next gives me the message saying the key isn't recognised.
    Monday, January 8, 2007 8:36 PM
  • The "Activate Online Now" does use the default key unfortunately.

Monday, January 8, 2007 8:48 PM
  • I think you may be confusing Validation with Activation (two different services).

The diagnostics tool above is using a default product key - correct? Please keep in mind, the Product Keys you use for ACTIVATION must be able to be used on the CD. Meaning you have to have an N-type product key for an N-type CD.

Also, you have to be using an RTM key with an RTM CD, etc.

Are you using an RTM Key? RC2 Key?

The current installation you have is using RC2 CD.

-phil

Monday, January 8, 2007 8:50 PM
  • I see that may be the answer then. I have been told that the keys the department has been provided with are for Windows Vista Business N.

I imagine that the key I have is for RTM which may explain why the key isn't recognised on RC2.

Do you know if an RTM iso has been released to MSDNAA subscribers. If not will I have to wait until it becomes available?
    Monday, January 8, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Yes, RTM is available for MSDNAA distribution (specifically Business and volume type customers) as in your case.

Good luck!

-phil

Monday, January 8, 2007 8:58 PM
  • Our university provided us Windows Vista Business edition DVD through ELMS. They said, we have to choose Business edition during the install, and they will sent the serial to us later. The ELMS installing instructions also said, we had to choose BUSINESS, not Business-N. But now, we got serials for Business-N, and this keys are incompatible with normal Business versions. It's very confusing, because we have to reinstall the whole system.
    Friday, January 19, 2007 10:27 AM
  • Please contact your university's administrator for MSDNAA and ask them to correct the installation procedure.
    Friday, January 19, 2007 8:44 PM
  • Can the administrators choose what version is available for us, or all European countries got N version codes?
    Saturday, January 20, 2007 12:36 PM
  • Yes, administrators are free to choose whatever version of Windows Vista they desire.
    Saturday, January 20, 2007 3:45 PM
  •  FLx wrote:
    Our university provided us Windows Vista Business edition DVD through ELMS. They said, we have to choose Business edition during the install, and they will sent the serial to us later. The ELMS installing instructions also said, we had to choose BUSINESS, not Business-N. But now, we got serials for Business-N, and this keys are incompatible with normal Business versions. It's very confusing, because we have to reinstall the whole system.

For me it was the other way 'round...
    I was told to install "N" but received a key for "normal" business.

I send an inquiry to our local ELMS guy but he could't help either.
    Two days ago I send another one to microsofts general support requesting an exchange (or "downgrade") from Business to Business N.
    Still waiting.

Why do some MSDNAA subscribers receive "N" and some other "normal" keys?

If only FLx and I could exchange our serials ;)

Greetings from germany, Hendrik

Friday, February 16, 2007 6:37 PM