WHS Restore from Recovery CD to Laptop Network adapter Not Functional RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon,

Thank you in advance for any direction on this one, as I have been eyes-too-close for too long at this point.

I have a Gateway FX Laptop that I am doing a bare metal restore to since putting in a new Primary OS SSD to replace the slower one in the system currently.

FROM INF FILE:

Supported hardware: Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller
    ;
    ; (C)Copyright 2007-2009 Marvell(R).
    ;
    ; All rights reserved.
    ;
    ; inf file for NDIS6.2 Miniport Driver for Windows 7 yk62x64.sys

[Version]
    Signature    = "$Windows NT$"
    Class        = Net
    ClassGUID    = {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Provider    = %Marvell%
    CatalogFile    = yk62x64.CAT
    DriverVer       = 05/20/2009, 11.10.5.3

END

The 64bit version will not load at all, the 32 bit DOES say that it loaded, however I never get any link light on the network controller.  If I put the old SSD in with the install I ran to it originally, it sees the network controller fine. 

64bit Win 7 installed on this laptop.

I have done quite a few restores at this point using the WHS Recovery CD when I have replaced HDDs.  I have also loaded 3rd party Network Controller drivers up to this point on a few desktops with NO issue at all.  This is the first time that I am seeming to have an issue.

Suggestions are certainly appreciated.  I have tried using both the .sys driver from Microsoft (per copying the file from c:\windows\system32\drivers\[network_controller.sys], and this has not worked.  I have pulled and attempted using the latest driver from the gateway website based on the serial number of the laptop, .zip file applicable to both win7 32bit and 64bit.

Maybe my nose is too close to it, not sure.  Been building systems for quite some time, but I am sure I am missing something silly.

Thank you in advance for any help and direction you can offer.  I would prefer not to run the install from scratch, the WHS restore option certainly is a time saver.

I guess the final question would be, if for some funky reason I am not able to get a network adapter working on this machine, can I reasonably take the SSD out of the laptop, make it the ONLY drive in a desktop I have run restores to before, and when I run the restore wizard for WHS, just choose 'other computer' and use the desktop to act as a surrogate for the laptop SSD and run the laptop SSD WHS restore directly to that disk while it is running in the desktop. Then on completion and reboot, just shut down and put the SSD back into the laptop and boot as normal?

I don't like that workaround necessarily, but I also need to not spend any more hours mucking around with this client laptop.

Thank you again for your time,

-Andrew

Owner

Computer Management Solutions

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:18 PM

Answers

• See this FAQ (it talks about a different NIC chipset, but you may have the same type of problem) and this one.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Javad0g Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:18 AM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 8:10 PM

All replies

• See this FAQ (it talks about a different NIC chipset, but you may have the same type of problem) and this one.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Javad0g Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:18 AM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Good afternoon Ken,

I appreciate your time and response.  I will give that a shot here on a second SSD that I can play around with on this recovery process through WHS.  Today I needed to get this out the door, so I ended up using a desktop disk duplicator box I have here.  Put in the source ssd and the target ssd and pushed a button.  Came back an hour later and the process was done.

This is a solution, but I want to see where I was running into the issue with the NIC being recognized yet obviously not loading correctly or at all as I never did attain a link light.

Ill pull over and attempt the restore process using Vista drivers and see how it takes.  I don't even need to really go through the restore process (though I will anyway), because if I see the link light on the network adapter after the driver load, then I know it has succeeded.

Thank you again sir,

-Andrew

**EDIT**

Yea, Ken,

I went ahead and pulled over the Vista drivers for the NIC from the manufacturer website and loaded them onto the USB key.  Stepped through the process, installed 3rd party driver, popped up as completed, looked over:  Link Light.

Found WHS from here, and is ready to run the restore process.  Thank you for that insight and link for a solution.  Keeping that one in my little black bag.

Thanks again sir,

-Andrew

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:08 AM