need help, having trouble adding WD 1tb green HD RRS feed

• Question

•  After connecting HD to system, system hangs during bios routines.  HD works on other comuter. 

MB is Intel D845PEBT2

I attmepted to upgrade bios but got eror message saying i could not instll on servers.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:04 PM

Answers

• Some controller/drive combinations don't support SATA speed autonegotiation properly. Ideally, when a SATA 3.0 drive is connected to a SATA 1.5 controller, a magic handshake occurs, and the data exchange happens at 1.5 Gb/s from then on. Sometimes that doesn't happen, and many SATA drives have a jumper for that occasion, that forcibly limit the protocol speed to 1.5 Mbps.

As can be seen here:

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2007/10/11/wd_caviar_gp/western-digital-wd10eacs-green-label.jpg

on WD Green the 5-6 jumper is responsible for this setting.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:22 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• I'm not familiar with that specific motherbaord, but are you sure it supports disks of that size?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:57 PM helps to actually read the question first.
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Hi,
    you may also check, if the power cable and the SATA cable are properly seated on both ends.
    Does the disk spin up?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Olaf, 

The disk does spin up.  The system locks while booting up.  It never makes it to the OS startup screen. 

Thanks.

Paul
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Ken,

How do I check to see if the MB supports HDD's that are that large?

Paul 
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Usually you will find something in the manual about it. Intel has manuals for their boards on their web site, I believe.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Personally, I don't think that it is the size of the drive. Since you're not getting to the OS load, it's potentially a BIOS issue. Don't update the BIOS. Just go into the BIOS at start up. Is the drive showing up in the BIOS? Is the drive channel set to auto-detection in the BIOS? Or, on this mobo , do you need to manually set the access mode for the drive? Hopefully, this will point you to solving the issue.

Regards,
    Scott 
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:45 AM
  • This board is more than 5 years old. The onboard SATA controller is a SIL3112.
    And yes, I don't think that the SIL3112 bios will support drives with that size.
    I had a similar board and it always failed to boot with any drive above 330GB.

Martin

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 1:30 PM
  • Some controller/drive combinations don't support SATA speed autonegotiation properly. Ideally, when a SATA 3.0 drive is connected to a SATA 1.5 controller, a magic handshake occurs, and the data exchange happens at 1.5 Gb/s from then on. Sometimes that doesn't happen, and many SATA drives have a jumper for that occasion, that forcibly limit the protocol speed to 1.5 Mbps.

As can be seen here:

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2007/10/11/wd_caviar_gp/western-digital-wd10eacs-green-label.jpg

on WD Green the 5-6 jumper is responsible for this setting.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 6:22 AM
    Answerer