Duplication Failure RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting a duplication failure because the file name is more than 260 characters long. I understand this but:-

1. Why the limit? If windows can handle these long file names (from ripped CDs mostly) why can't WHS?

2. I turn off file duplication for the shared folder in question BUT the error message keeps appearing.

John Clemence

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:05 PM

Answers

• It's my understanding that the limitation is in the .Net Framework, rather than WHS itself. You see the error even if duplication is turned off because DE does more than just duplicate files to a second drive.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:53 PM

All replies

• It's my understanding that the limitation is in the .Net Framework, rather than WHS itself. You see the error even if duplication is turned off because DE does more than just duplicate files to a second drive.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Ken is correct.  If you have duplication turned off for a Shared Folder in Power Pack 1 (the upcoming minor release), you shouldn't see this error any longer.  As the long file name issues only comes into play for duplicated Shared Folders and currently the error shows even if a folder isn't marked for duplication

Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:39 AM