Data recovery Acer H340 RRS feed

• Question

• I couldn't get past the "network error" issue when trying to recover WHS, so I pulled drives 2 and 3 and did a reinstall with a new OS drive. The old OS drive is a brick, so I can"t mount it to get anything off of it. If I put drives 2 and 3 back in with the new OS drive, I'm sure it will want to format them. What other way can I recover data from drives 2 and 3

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:22 PM

All replies

• Your user guide (you received it with your server) tells you how to go about a server recovery after e.g. a system drive failure. Since you've reinstalled already, you should take the system drive out of your server and delete all partitions on the drive. Then follow the instructions in the manual.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, May 11, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Like most who try to follow the user guide, the recovery method always fails with a "network error" It finds the server, then fails to recover, yet the reinstall goes forward with no issues. Let's say there is no recovery option, is there any other way? 

Frank Osborne

Friday, May 11, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Hi Frank,

you can try the method described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to get the data in Shared folders back, which was not solely stored on the broken disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 11, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Thanks Olaf, I recovered most to a portable. Then I Loaded the H340 with WHS 2011. Funny thing is, it has the 256mb internal flash as the E:\ drive. I can remove it in disk management, can you think of any reason not too.

Frank Osborne

Saturday, May 12, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Hi Frank,
    there is no reason, not to remove the drive letter assigned to that flash disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:01 AM