Backup stalls during writing RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP mediasmart home server.  I've successfully installed the WHS connector on several XP machines, and had them back up sucessfully.  I also have a Vista machine, and on this the backup kicks off, then stalls (at 35%).  There's no error message, and I then struggle to kill the backup task.  All machines are wired at 100Mb/s.

I've tried reinstalling the connector software on the Vista machine, and restarted everything a number of times.

Any thoughts on what I can do to overcome this?

Thanks
    Friday, February 22, 2008 6:57 PM

All replies

• Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?  I have 5 PCs in my network, and have two that stall consistantly at 35%.  One is hardwired, one is wireless, on runs XP (fully patched) one runs Vista SP1 with a second XP partition for dual booting.  Each one has had chkdsk run and they still stall every time at 35%,  I'm beginning to wonder how valuable this WHS really is if i cant even get backups of the systems. 

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Hi, the 35% mark is the point that data starts being transferred to the server, the first 30% is checking which clusters have changed and then the next 5% is reorganising data on the server. 

Have you installed the Toolkit, (with it's manual,) this can check your connection., It's been noted that the NIC can cause stalls part way through a backup. If it's a card that supports jumbo frames, you could try re-setting it, or changing the 'auto' settings.

Next, you could try working through this excellent post, it will check your backup database for errors etc.

You have run chkdsk /r on the Client hard drive?

The hard drive hasn't been converted from a FAT drive, or hasn't been cloned by something like Acronis?

Colin

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:03 PM