no windows media center RRS feed

• Question

• So i just installed a new copy of WHS on my new box. everything was working fine updated everything transferred all of my videos music and pics to it then i went to my xbox to watch a video and i can see the server1 but i can not play any of the videos. When i was using my WHS 120 day evaluation this worked without a hitch. so i go to my server to  make sure everything is running smooth, i have power pack 2 and all of the updates but no Windows media center, there is a button in the home server settings but it just tells me to  "install the windows media connector from the star menu" but there is nothing in my start menu there is nothing anywhere on the server.

I have tried everything i could think of and i have read everything on the net but i can not find a solution

any ideas??
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:10 PM

All replies

• Could you clarify a couple of things on your setup:
    1- is the Xbox in question joined to a Media Center?
    2- are you trying to play back videos from the Media blade, or thru the Extender interface (if #1 is "yes")?
    3- If #1=yes, did you install the Media Center Connector on the Media Center that the Xbox is joined to?
    4- If #1=yes, what OS is that Media Center running (XP, Vista, or Win7 (and, what build if it's Win7)?

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Friday, August 14, 2009 2:32 AM
  • 1. nope

the xbox can get videos of my other computer just find but when I try to watch them off of the WHS I can see the folders but there is nothing in them and i know there is videos in them
    Friday, August 14, 2009 5:31 AM

• I think you first have to connect your Home server to a Windows Media Center computer (on the MC client,  "install the windows media connector from the star menu").
    In case there is no shurtcut on the MC client yould try runnig "MCWHSSetup.exe" directly form the "%Program Files%\Windows Home Server" folder.

- Theo.

(PS - I am not sure about XBox, but in general, a Media Extender can only communicate with Windows Media Center. It can not stream directly form WHS)

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:15 AM

• I think you first have to connect your Home server to a Windows Media Center computer (on the MC client,  "install the windows media connector from the star menu").
    In case there is no shurtcut on the MC client yould try runnig "MCWHSSetup.exe" directly form the "%Program Files%\Windows Home Server" folder.

- Theo.

(PS - I am not sure about XBox, but in general, a Media Extender can only communicate with Windows Media Center. It can not stream directly form WHS)

No home server like Home Server

Theo,

The XBox 360 can stream media directly from the server (through what used to be called the "blades", I don't have the foggiest idea what it's called after installing NXE :) ), but in order to get the full Media Center Extender experience on your 360, then yes, you must connect to a client PC with Media Center configured.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:27 AM