Cannot See WHS an longer RRS feed

• Question

•  

My WHS is running the pre PP1 RTM.  It was working until I had to replace the router. 

I fired it up and two of my 3 pcs running vista can see it fine and all is the same, however the third showed the software connector as ok, but would not reconnect my shares, saying the whs was not on the network, then the connector woudl not allow me to open the interface, saying the whs was not turned on.

Finally I cannot remote into it or find the server on my network list.

This is both wireless and cabled, with multiple server and router restarts.  The other PC's see it just fine.

As far as I can tell there have been no changes to the pc that wont connect.

I am baffled, so any pointers gratefully appreciated

Saturday, July 19, 2008 3:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry, missed the message regarding the Windows IP, (trying to have a meal at the same time!), yes, the 'Peer to Peer' section is very relevant, it should be either Hybrid or Mixed.

For W2K/XP, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters to make change:
    Name: DhcpNodeType
    Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number
    Valid Range: 1,2,4,8 (b-node, p-node, m-node, h-node)
    Default: 1 or 8 based on the WINS server configuration

A longer description:

1.  Click Start/Run  regedit  ENTER

2.  Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters

3.  Left click on 'Parameters' to highlight it.  At the top of the window
    click on Registry and select Export ... - give the file a name and save to a
    place where it can be easily found.

4.  Right click on Parameters and highlight New - select DWORD value - name
    the value NodeType (one word) ENTER.

5.  Double click on NodeType - select Decimal and enter a value of 1 for
    b-node or 8 for h-node.  Click OK, close registry editor, and reboot.

Also, this KB article has some info

Colin

Saturday, July 19, 2008 5:45 PM

All replies

• It could be that something has changed,if you open Explorer, on the problem Client, and navigate to the Program Files - Windows Home Server folder, you will find a file named 'Discovery.exe'. Double-click on this file, and it will search the network for you Server and re-associate the relevant folders etc.

Colin

Saturday, July 19, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Sadly I decided that i might need to re-install the whs client so I uninstalled it.  I now have the same issue, but cannot find the server on my network, even manually, I can see the server symbol and the server media share, but not the server pc symbol to navigate into.

I just ran the connector trouble shooter from the whs toolkit and it coudl not detect the server, although i said there were two names for the whs in the ip addressing.

The fact the other two pc's are working perfectly is what troubles me, as there is no reason why this oen shoudl nto be the same, I just cant figure out whats changed.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 3:20 PM
  • I also found that on the network properties that the workign machines show connection specific dns as workgroup, but the not working shows belkin.

No idea how that happened, or if its relevant

Saturday, July 19, 2008 3:23 PM
  •  Sihanf wrote:
    I also found that on the network properties that the workign machines show connection specific dns as workgroup, but the not working shows belkin.

No idea how that happened, or if its relevant

Can you try pinging your server, both by name and by IP address, from the computer that's not working?  Also, can you please provide your ipconfig for both a working PC and the one that's not working?

Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:25 PM
  • It is,

You need to go to the Network connections in Control Panel, double-click on the network connection and select Properties. Scroll down, and select 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then it's Properties.You need to ensure that 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and nothing else is checked.

OK all the way out, and try again.

Note that if you run 'ipconfig /all' in a DOS box,  on the misbehaving Client and the same on a working Client, the major details should be the same.

Colin

Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:32 PM
  •  

I can ping the server and get a response using the ip address. But when i ping using the server name it returns cannot find host.

I am nto sure how to cut/paste Ipconfig details, but here is where i think the problem lies (since from what I can see the ipconfig details are identical)

I can remote into the server from the problem pc using the ip address, btu using the name produces nothing.  Also when I remote into the server by ip it warms me that the server name and ip name differ, do i wish to connect anyway.

I think therefore that this is a dns issue where my network on this pc wont correctly attribute the server name to the ip address.  If i knew how to rematch them, or why they lost the match inthe first place i might be onto a soloution.

Thanks, by the way for narrowing down the field, if the ip config is needed, then any hint how to cut/paste woudl be helpfull.

Regards

Simon

Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:36 PM
  • Thanks, the connection specific dns box both now say belkin, but no fix.

I can see all the other pc's and access them, its just the server that has lost its mapping to the ip, and the other pc's can see the server just fine, as can the xbox 360.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

when you execute 'ipconfig /all', the Default Gateway, DHCP Server and DNS Server should all be the same IP address, which should be the router IP address.

To do a Cut & Paste from a DOS box, go to the very small box in the top left of the DOS box, usually a small black box showing 'C:\', this has a drop down menu where you can select Edit, which has a 'Select All' and 'Copy' menu items.

In your forum message, then just do a Control-V to paste.

Colin

Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Great thanks, in the client that cannot connect the ipconfig for the adapter is:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Belkin
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-3B-63-30-BF
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1d31Big Smilebcb:f:1be0%8(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.4(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 19 July 2008 17:06:50
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 July 2018 17:06:50
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:56 PM
  • and one of the workign ones is:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Belkin
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Co
    nection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-70-12-AB
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5d1a:58cf:a3ed:b584%9(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.5(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 19 July 2008 17:23:30
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 July 2018 17:23:31
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:58 PM
  • I also not that in the failing client the windows ip details are:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Notebook-MainPC
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

But the other two working ones show node type as hybrid, is this significant?

Saturday, July 19, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

Those appear to be fine.

Have you worked through the Troubleshooting Windows Home Server Connector Installation, available from the WHS Documents?

Colin

Saturday, July 19, 2008 5:09 PM
  • I have just gone through it again now, the crux woudl appear to be that the failing pc is not getting the server name from the dhcp.  I have enabled netbios on both the failign pc and the server to force it to work (rather than the default).

But I seem to still have the same issue, either the router or the fialign pc is not getting / giving the servers location when i try to connect to it.  I can still access via ip both ping and rdc, and i can see the server media share and homeserver other device, just not the server itself.

The troubleshooting guide doesnt give me anywhere to do, as the other pc's all connect and indeed this one did until this week.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, missed the message regarding the Windows IP, (trying to have a meal at the same time!), yes, the 'Peer to Peer' section is very relevant, it should be either Hybrid or Mixed.

For W2K/XP, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters to make change:
    Name: DhcpNodeType
    Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number
    Valid Range: 1,2,4,8 (b-node, p-node, m-node, h-node)
    Default: 1 or 8 based on the WINS server configuration

A longer description:

1.  Click Start/Run  regedit  ENTER

2.  Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters

3.  Left click on 'Parameters' to highlight it.  At the top of the window
    click on Registry and select Export ... - give the file a name and save to a
    place where it can be easily found.

4.  Right click on Parameters and highlight New - select DWORD value - name
    the value NodeType (one word) ENTER.

5.  Double click on NodeType - select Decimal and enter a value of 1 for
    b-node or 8 for h-node.  Click OK, close registry editor, and reboot.

Also, this KB article has some info

Colin

Saturday, July 19, 2008 5:45 PM
  •  

Doesnt really help anyone else, as i don't understand what and how this has been fixed, but.

I did a vista windows restore to a scheduled point 5 days ago (i ahve done nothing since) and then it works, as if there was no problem.

Worth noting, i think is that the ipconfig returns mode type as hybrid, the same as my other pc's now.

Thanks for all the help though, or i would never have narrowed it down.  Hoepfully it might help someone else with a work around, untill I understand why it happened.

Many thanks to all

Simon

Saturday, July 19, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Simon,

Glad you got it working, it's a real 'pain' when it appear to be something and nothing, but takes hours to chase down!

It sounds as though your NetBios setting was changed, how, I have no idea, but in hindsight, I now remember another case of 'Peer to Peer' blocking a Clients' access.

Good luck,

Colin

Saturday, July 19, 2008 5:58 PM