WHS reinstall or HD swap to new hardware, HELP RRS feed

• Question

•   I am running WHS bought and installed a month ago, and the old hardware I installed it on is giving me trouble so I have put together a new box and I am trying to install my original hd's (2X500) in the new box, but upon boot I get a cycle, where I'll almost get to the windows screen and it will start over, so I put another drive in the new box and installed WHS on it.  It boots fine with just the software install, but now I can't get any of my files off the original HD's.  Can someone please help, my wife has so many pictures on these 2 drives, I can't loose them.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 10:32 PM

Answers

• It's unlikely that you will be able to just move your drives from one computer to another and have everything boot and function. The best way to approach this type of migration is with a server reinstallation, a special installation mode which wipes and refreshes the system partition, but leaves your shares (therefore your data) alone. See this FAQ post for a bit more information about server reinstallation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Monday, January 26, 2009 10:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tiahuana Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:39 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Unfortunately, Ken is correct. The only way you can get away with removing drives from one computer and moving to another is if both hardware solutions are identical. I think by your description you may not have that option now??? You really need to somehow restore the old system to some workable state so you can migrate the images to someplace else temporarily, burn an archive of them so they can be reloaded or you are in big trouble.

Not that this helps you at all now, but I archive all my photos to DVD first, then delete them, crop/edit them and then post them to shared locations. My teenager decided to modify some images once, on the share itself because she didn't know she was. Lucky for us both I have the unmolested orginals archived to DVD.

Good luck.

Help Desk Dude
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Hi,

booting the old drives on new hardware only works under certain conditions:

• identical or similar hardware (CPU, chipset, storage controllers)
    • boot disk is connected to the first port
    • same mode for SATA controller set in Bios as in the original system (may be IDE/PATA compatible or AHCI, should not be RAID)
    • luck

If this not works, check this FAQ how to recover your data from the old server disks.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:57 AM

All replies

• It's unlikely that you will be able to just move your drives from one computer to another and have everything boot and function. The best way to approach this type of migration is with a server reinstallation, a special installation mode which wipes and refreshes the system partition, but leaves your shares (therefore your data) alone. See this FAQ post for a bit more information about server reinstallation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Monday, January 26, 2009 10:46 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Unfortunately, Ken is correct. The only way you can get away with removing drives from one computer and moving to another is if both hardware solutions are identical. I think by your description you may not have that option now??? You really need to somehow restore the old system to some workable state so you can migrate the images to someplace else temporarily, burn an archive of them so they can be reloaded or you are in big trouble.

Not that this helps you at all now, but I archive all my photos to DVD first, then delete them, crop/edit them and then post them to shared locations. My teenager decided to modify some images once, on the share itself because she didn't know she was. Lucky for us both I have the unmolested orginals archived to DVD.

Good luck.

Help Desk Dude
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Hi,

booting the old drives on new hardware only works under certain conditions:

• identical or similar hardware (CPU, chipset, storage controllers)
    • boot disk is connected to the first port
    • same mode for SATA controller set in Bios as in the original system (may be IDE/PATA compatible or AHCI, should not be RAID)
    • luck

If this not works, check this FAQ how to recover your data from the old server disks.

Olaf

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:57 AM
  • I hate to say it but you guys were right, the drives wouldn't work, there was noway to get the data without a lot of work.   

My Solution:

After building the new system I created a new install of WHS on a 320Gig Drive.  Then I tried the reinstall, and it wouldn't find the data.

So I did another clean install on the same 320 gig drive and then plugged in 2 drives from the previous system (including the old sys drive) and I browsed through the system setup and found a location that contained the DE shares and I copied those over to the new DE shares.   This was a major relief. 

Then I noticed that the files after Nov 2008 were empty.  I had created folders but not data or pictures.  In Nov was when I added the second 500 gig drive and I added it to the existing space, so I browsed to the second 500 gig drive and from there I found the DE shares and everything that was saved after Nov 2008, and then I went through the manually process of moving everything over and merging it.

What a pain, 

Anyway thanks for your help, and I ordered a 4 bay ESata backup and drives off NewEgg last night.  I'll make sure I have a backup of the server and all the data in the future.

Maybe I don't need to say this but isn't this a HOME SERVER, should the reinstall process be idiot proof, should moving these DE Shares be really simple incase something fails and you need to bring things back?  Maybe there is an easy way (I know I didn't do my upgrade right) but during my search I sure didn't find an documentation on how to bring things back if you have a major issue, bad sys hd, motherboard capacitors blow, sata connection stops working..  I've had all of these issues on previous computers.   MS needs to think simpler and they would bring a lot more customers.  In my opinion.

Thanks again, everyone.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

this may have had more painless worked out, if you had purchased a home server appliance from an OEM like HP or Fujitsu. These do at least remove some of the hassles with the driver integration, which you have experienced on the self built system. (And this may be one of the main reasons, why there is no retail box of WHS software.)

Olaf

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:29 PM