none
Crappy Update

Question

• Windows Vista wanted to do an update.  I installed Windows Security Essentials.  From then on, Windows booted with a little message in the lower right hand corner: "Windows Vista Build 6002 This version of Windows is not genuine".

I have had this PC for years.  Bought it from Gateway.  No pirated software anywhere in sight.  So why is Microsoft labeling me a criminal?

I uninstalled Windows Security Essentials, and now I'm back to normal.  No libelous messages from MS.

May I request that you test your updates before sending them out?  Having paid MS hundreds of dollars for various software packages on all my computers, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from placing malware on my PC whose apparent purpose is to inaccurately accuse me of crimes.

Thanks,

--Tom.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:17 PM

Answers

• There is no such MS product as 'Windows Security Essentials'.

Microsoft Security Essentials is not an update - it is a full application, which is an Anti-Virus, and requires periodic validation. If you already have an anti-virus installed (or certain malware, for that matter), it could be interfering with the validation process which MSE requires, and this would cause the non-genuine notification.

What Anti-Virus is currently installed - and what AV did the machine ship with? What other AV's have been installed in the meantime?

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Friday, November 29, 2013 8:17 AM

All replies

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Friday, November 29, 2013 8:13 AM
  • There is no such MS product as 'Windows Security Essentials'.

Microsoft Security Essentials is not an update - it is a full application, which is an Anti-Virus, and requires periodic validation. If you already have an anti-virus installed (or certain malware, for that matter), it could be interfering with the validation process which MSE requires, and this would cause the non-genuine notification.

What Anti-Virus is currently installed - and what AV did the machine ship with? What other AV's have been installed in the meantime?

Friday, November 29, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Noel,

Thanks for the response.  Sorry to take so long to get back to you.  I have Avast Free Antivirus version 2014.9.0.2008 installed and running.  Used to have Symantec a while back.  No other antivirus software.

I did not download and run your MGADiag tool as I have simply uninstalled WSE due to its abusive language.

I understand WSE may need to communicate back to the mothership.  But since you guys know that this could be blocked by other antivirus software, it would be considerate if MS were to give an error message like "WSE cannot verify with MS server. You could have other antivirus software blocking this access, or you could have a non-genuine windows installation."  Especially as the alternative is to accuse me of a crime.

Also, such a message would be constructively useful in addressing the problem, rather than simply abusive.  (With such a message, I would not have had to go through this message board for an answer; it would have been sitting right there in the error message.)

It's just a small step to take for MS to think in its customer's shoes.  But it's a huge slap in the face to not do so.

Yours,

--Tom.

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:44 PM