none
Unauthorized change to windows, followed by "User Profile cannot be loaded"

Question

• It all started when I tried to install the iTunes update on my PC.  The computer froze, restarted, and when it loaded, it said, "An unauthorized change has been made to Windows" and wanted me to input the product verification key.  I had no idea where to find it (I have since) so I closed the box and tried to do a system restore, but no restore points were created.  This is strange because the computer usually create restore points regularly.  Anyway, I turned off the computer, hoping it would load up properly, but it didn't.  Now all it says is what is written in the title, "the User Profile Service service failed the logon.  User profile cannot be loaded."  It won't let me do anything besides click "okay," or restart it or turn it off.  The only way I can use my computer is in safe mode.

I tried to perform a clean boot for Vista by following the instructions on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 but the computer doesn't do anything when I press enter on "msconfig.exe."  I'm tempted to do a full system restore, but I've had to do that twice already since I bought the computer, which means I've used my Office verification key three times now.  As far as I know, I can't used the verification key more times than three, which means I'd have to talk to Microsoft to give me a break or buy a new program.  I wanted to find out if anyone has suggestions on how to fix the computer without doing a full system restore, but if that is what it takes, I'll do it.

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Hockey Girl,

First off, the Office Product Key should not have a 3 reinstall limit.  There are some Family Pack versions that have a 3 use (At the Same Time) limit, meaning it can be installed on 3 separate PCs at the same time.  Your office Product key is likely either a Retail or OEM version. In either event, it can be reinstalled on the same PC without limit.

As to the main issue, i would recommend a full system restore.  The reason I say that is your issue sounds Malware related (missing Restore Points is the main reason I think this is malware related because allot of Malware will disable or delete Restore Points to protect itself) and the best way to ensure the malware is gone is to reinstall/full system restore.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:17 PM

All replies

• One more comment.  I don't have Avast on my laptop so that is not causing the problem.

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Hi Hockey Girl,

First off, the Office Product Key should not have a 3 reinstall limit.  There are some Family Pack versions that have a 3 use (At the Same Time) limit, meaning it can be installed on 3 separate PCs at the same time.  Your office Product key is likely either a Retail or OEM version. In either event, it can be reinstalled on the same PC without limit.

As to the main issue, i would recommend a full system restore.  The reason I say that is your issue sounds Malware related (missing Restore Points is the main reason I think this is malware related because allot of Malware will disable or delete Restore Points to protect itself) and the best way to ensure the malware is gone is to reinstall/full system restore.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:17 PM