Windos Home Server reporting disk space incorrectly RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Home Server - when I am in windows explorer and am looking at the stats for drive D: (data) it says I have 1.43 TB of free space and a total size of 911 GB. to take it a bit further if i go to properties of drive D: for used space it says: "+')(,-,((00 bytes 893894656" (minus the quotes". Windows Home Server Console reports that I have a total size of 2.63 TB and free space of 1.43 TB. Definitely a conflict. To make it worse disc cleanup keeps popping up asking me to run it because drive D: has no free space left. I need help please!!! I would post screen shots but i'm actually on the server now and I can't cut and paste in this box for some reason
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:07 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server - when I am in windows explorer and am looking at the stats for drive D: (data) it says I have 1.43 TB of free space and a total size of 911 GB. to take it a bit further if i go to properties of drive D: for used space it says: "+')(,-,((00 bytes 893894656" (minus the quotes". Windows Home Server Console reports that I have a total size of 2.63 TB and free space of 1.43 TB. Definitely a conflict.

As mentioned in the other thread you posted to, that's normal so don't worry about it.  (By the way, FYI, logging into the server desktop is unsupported and that's one of the reasons why).

To make it worse disc cleanup keeps popping up asking me to run it because drive D: has no free space left.

Where exactly are you seeing that?

I need help please!!! I would post screen shots but i'm actually on the server now and I can't cut and paste in this box for some reason
    You shouldn't be logging into the server desktop (primarily because there are apps in the underlying OS that can break WHS, not to mention there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to add files to the shares).  Have you been copying files to the UNC path (\\server\<sharename>) or to D:\shares?  What are the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    • Marked as answer by conta1970 Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:42 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server - when I am in windows explorer and am looking at the stats for drive D: (data) it says I have 1.43 TB of free space and a total size of 911 GB. to take it a bit further if i go to properties of drive D: for used space it says: "+')(,-,((00 bytes 893894656" (minus the quotes". Windows Home Server Console reports that I have a total size of 2.63 TB and free space of 1.43 TB. Definitely a conflict.

As mentioned in the other thread you posted to, that's normal so don't worry about it.  (By the way, FYI, logging into the server desktop is unsupported and that's one of the reasons why).

To make it worse disc cleanup keeps popping up asking me to run it because drive D: has no free space left.

Where exactly are you seeing that?

I need help please!!! I would post screen shots but i'm actually on the server now and I can't cut and paste in this box for some reason
    You shouldn't be logging into the server desktop (primarily because there are apps in the underlying OS that can break WHS, not to mention there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to add files to the shares).  Have you been copying files to the UNC path (\\server\<sharename>) or to D:\shares?  What are the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    • Marked as answer by conta1970 Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:42 AM
  • I have been doing things totally wrong.  I have been copying files via the desktop directly to the D: drive.  I did what you suggested by using RDP and everything is working perfect again.  I've learned a lot here thank you.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:39 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem, but my problem lies in the workstations. 3 computers, Vista Home, Windows 7 Home, and XP home all incorrectly report the drive space on the mapped drives.

On the Vista and Win 7 PCs it reports the used space as "working" and on XP pc it gives me strange characters like yours.

I was using Microsoft Works to create a spreadsheet and I got a message stating the drive is full, however, if I create the document locally and then copy to the mapped drive it works fine. I'm also having problems creating new company files using QuickBooks.

Any thoughts?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:51 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem, but my problem lies in the workstations. 3 computers, Vista Home, Windows 7 Home, and XP home all incorrectly report the drive space on the mapped drives.

On the Vista and Win 7 PCs it reports the used space as "working" and on XP pc it gives me strange characters like yours.

I was using Microsoft Works to create a spreadsheet and I got a message stating the drive is full, however, if I create the document locally and then copy to the mapped drive it works fine. I'm also having problems creating new company files using QuickBooks.

Any thoughts?

As already mentioned, that's normal.  It's due to how Drive Extender handles files and presents free space to clients (so that Vista and 7 can copy files to the server).
    Friday, July 9, 2010 3:55 AM