It can't be legal, this looks like class action all over RRS feed

• General discussion

• I own a valid "genuine" copy of Office Pro Ed. 2003, the XP Home office OS was so bugged out I had to reinstall with recovery disks and start over.  When I put my Office suite back in it errors so knowing it was a key already used i called microsoft to have it validated, afterall I own the original copy like a music CD, DVD, or anything else I'm not makeing copies, I just want to use the product I paid for and own.......apparently even if you buy something from Microsoft you don't own it.  I can get tech support for $49. or buy and upgrade, but I can't get the ey refreshed for somthing I own.  This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.  What's next - I used to respect micosoft as a decent company who was trying to protect thier market share from pirates, now I'm not so sure the pirates are in the wrong - who's worse the guy who steals with or without the corporate sheild.  I'm disgusted and although it may be legal to do what they are doing to grow the bottom line with nickles and dimes - it sure smells like they have bigger issues with morals and ethics as a global citizen.  I'm so over thinking they were a decent company, just another greedy corporation putting on make up for the perception of being something they are not.  At this point it's not about the $49 - it's about what do I own when I buy something from microsoft?  Apparently it's more of a short rental and if one of thier products is responsible for issues or damage with the other it's all good for microsoft they will still pick your pocket.  Oh, one last note - the help desk???  I almost burst out laughuing at the poor girl as she read the only script  "Yes sir; you can buy this or you can pay us for that - these are the only options we can offer"....too funny, does anyone actually monitor these calls, more so did anyone ever read the script and think - wow that doesn't sound like we are here to help anyone but ourselves?

Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:51 PM

All replies

• Do you have a technical question related to your rant?  When you purchase any software license, you do not technically own the license.  You own the right to use the license in accordance with the software manufacturer's licensing terms and conditions, often called the End User License Agreement (EULA). So please state exactly what problem you are experiencing, if any, and this forum will try to help.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:59 PM
  • SPG7691,

Sound like the CDs you purchased are counterfeit, or possibly Volume Licensing CDs which are useless without a valid Volume Licensing Agreement.

Run the mgadiag and post and we'll be able to tell you for sure what the problem is.

Monday, July 7, 2008 2:51 PM