2 copies of Onecare exist on my PC but neither will uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• 2 copies of Onecare exist on my PC but neither will uninstall - this is the basic problem

I am getting an error report to say that Onecare has encountered a problem and cannot start. I dont even get the Onecare icon appear in the tray, however it does appear to be installed TWICE when I look in the C/Program Files, the second version of it appearing as (2).

However the program doesn't exist in the uninstall programs file so I'm unable to install. Even if I try to restore to a point where Onecare was working it still has the same problem.

If i try to install via the CD it states that Onecare is already installed and that I must uninstall my current copy - but I can't do that!!

I've tried the clean up tool but all that happens is I get the message stating Onecare has encountered a problem and cannot start - I'm simply going round in circles!!!

I still want to use Onecare as I have several months left on my subscription but I need to get back to the point where i can actually open the console!

Anyone got any ideas????

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try to use the cleanup tool

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe

before restarting delete all the Onecare foldeers from program files

restart your computer then try to install Onecare

if it fails you may want to contact support, seems like it needs to manually uninstall Onecare

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:10 AM
  • I've already tried the cleanup tool but I get the error message "cleanup tool has encoutered a problem and needs to close" - how else do I uninstall?

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:21 AM
  • OK - ive now managed to uninstall by using another restore, however when I go to install again it tells me that one of the components cannot install & backs out of the install by doing a clean up  - I now have no AV at all!!! - what a mess

Where does this leave me??

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Dellboy,

What is the error you encounter when trying to install, now that you have successfully removed OneCare?

I think that you may want to contact support, as responses here will not be very instantaneous.

This KB article contains information on how to repair some common dependencies that might be the cause of your issue - .Net Framework and the MSXML subsystem - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/910656

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:07 AM
  • Thanks Steve

I've tried in sequence all the ways to un-install the various services & each time tried to re-install Onecare - i get the same reult each time

ie - "Windows Live OneCare has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

So I do now at least have AV but i still cant get into Onecare - ive tried the email support but it doesnt appear to work - when i sign in as a subscriber it crashes & tells me to come back later, if i tell it that I have a trial copy it just goes back to the starting page when i click continue - nothing leads me to think that my message has been received.

Is this normal?

Failing any response from that team is there any other suggestions you can make?

Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:16 PM
  • No, none of it is normal, of course. :-(

I'll see if I can hook you up with support.

Send me an email - sboots@mvps.org - Subject: "OneCare"

In the message tell me what country you are located in.

And paste this URL in message - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2810948&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:37 AM