Known Issues for Image Composite Editor

General discussion

• Here is a list of known issues in version 1.4.4 of Image Composite Editor (ICE):

• Stitching from video is not available on Windows XP or Windows Vista.
      The "New Video Panorama" option in the "File" menu is only available on Windows 7.  This feature of ICE relies on functionality and video codecs that are only present in Windows 7 -- one more reason to upgrade your operating system.

• The video panorama dialog appears blank (doesn't display a preview of the video) if you have never launched Windows Media Player.
      If you haven't run Windows Media Player and accepted its license agreement, then the "New Video Panorama" feature in ICE will display an empty gray rectangle where the video should appear.  To fix this problem, just close ICE, launch Windows Media Player, accept the license agreement, and restart ICE.

• Publishing to Photosynth results in an empty "Create Synth" dialog in the synther if your %TEMP% or %TMP% environment variable contains non-ASCII characters.
      The Photosynth application does not recognize ICE panoramas when your %TEMP% or %TMP% environment variable contains non-ASCII characters such as accented letters.  You can work around this problem by changing your %TEMP% and %TMP% environment variables to point to a directory with only ASCII characters in its path (such as "C:\Temp", for example).  We've notified the Photosynth team of this issue.

• ICE reports "E_OUTOFMEMORY: Ran out of memory. (Error code 0x8007000E ...".
      For input image sets with a large number of source images (typically 50 or more) there is one step in ICE that requires a large memory allocation.  In some cases, the 32-bit version of ICE may report this error when trying to allocate the required memory.  This happens at 40% in Export to Photosynth or at 50.4% progress in Export to a flat file.  There is no good work-around other than to use 64-bit ICE on 64-bit Windows.

• Structured Panorama dialog sometimes shows diagonally-striped boxes instead of thumbnail images.
      Depending on the aspect ratio of your photos, the thumbnail images displayed by the Structured Panorama dialog may get corrupted, showing lots of diagonal stripes instead of the actual images.  This is a bug in ICE, and it will be fixed in our next release.  Note that the incorrect thumbnails have no effect on the final stitched output, but they certainly make the Structured Panorama dialog hard to use.  (For now, you may be able to avoid the problem by rotating your images 90 degrees or cropping them a bit before bringing them into ICE.)

• ICE says that Photosynth is not installed, even though it is installed.
      Some Photosynth installations result in registry entries that have incorrect permissions, and this prevents ICE from detecting or launching Photosynth.  We're still trying to determine the underlying cause of this problem.  Please see the proposed solution at the end of the "ICE says Photosynth not installed" forum post.

If you have a problem with ICE that is not listed here, please post a new message using a subject line that is specific to your issue.  It's also helpful to describe what you were doing when the problem occurred, which operating system you use (Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7), and whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit ICE.

Friday, May 27, 2011 5:58 AM

All replies

• Problems logging in with ICE 2.03 64 bit.

From win 7 64 bit system , Ice runs thru all functions, but when I want to publish to Photosynth, after entering my email and password, the prg says logging in, then goes back to not logged in.

Changed password but same results.
    • Edited by mxrindy Sunday, July 26, 2015 10:24 AM
    Sunday, July 26, 2015 10:23 AM
  • I use windows 7 64 bit, after downloading ICE (64 bit version) and stitching together photos my screen starts to flicker to the point the ICE is unusable. It only happens on ICE if I go to another screen, such as Internet Explorer, while ICE is open and flickering, IE does not. If I tile windows only the ICE window flickers. This behavior leads me to believe that the problem is with the ICE app., and not my computer or video card. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that did not help. I've used ICE for a few years now and it's only the new version that causes the problem. Please help, I miss the app

Thursday, July 30, 2015 4:33 PM
  • Clicking on Windows 10 taskbar ICE icon results in an attempted install that fails even though ICE already installed
    Friday, July 31, 2015 5:20 AM
  • Windows 8.1 64bit 
    I've installed ICE (instalation was going without any errors), but i can't launch ICE - it doesn't show any messages or something like that, and can't find ICE process in task manager. I tried to launch ICE as Administrator - it doen't help neither.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:32 PM
  • When I make a panorama, the lightning is totally buggy.. left side seems darker and it gets brighter to the left side until you cant see anything...
    W10 64 bit
    I tried to reinstall it but that didnt help. Also tried different files but the same. Can anyone help me?
    Friday, June 3, 2016 8:41 AM
  • I had the same problem. I discovered that a program I installed interfered with launching ICE on my computer. The interfering program, in my case, is ON1's Photo 10.5.

I had discovered the conflict by a process of elimination. ICE functioned normally before installing ON1 Photo 10.5. But after Photo 10.5 was installed, I could not get ICE to launch although I tried 3 different ways.

Simply uninstalling ON1 Photo 10.5 did not remedy the problem, because the internal conflicting issue that was created by ON1's installation remained even after uninstalling it. Clearing the problem required doing a System Restore, using a restore point that my computer (fortunately) created just prior to installing ON1 Photo 10.5.

I have not yet contacted ON1 Tech support about the issue, nor have I directly contacted ICE Tech support via this forum, either. I will have to do so soon.

For the time being, I will just refrain from re-installing ON1 Photo 10.5 until I make contact with tech support in the near future.

An additional note: Before I discovered what was causing my problem, I had tried un-installing and re-installing ICE, but each attempt at re-installing ICE failed because an error message kept popping up saying that a .dll module "failed to register."

Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:20 AM