When MS genuine translates into harassement RRS feed

• Question

• I installed SP1 on my vista Home premium edition laptop which was announced as making my laptop safer, but this new patch kit had hidden objectives as well!!!
    First I had to repair my OS, then I was stuck with your activation mess that just couldn't validate my original vista keys!!
    The result is that I lost 2 days of my job trying to fix the ____ that you call Genuine update.
    The number of the local MS support team in this country (Morocco) 081000809 is not working, but off course no body cares!!
    Just want to say that: You just gave me the decisive nudge to switch to a Mac and join few friends in their Mac club pretty soon

Friday, May 22, 2009 6:10 PM

Answers

• Tati70,

Sorry to hear that you feel this way. If you need assistance I will do my best. 

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 22, 2009 6:33 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Hello Neiby,

Thank you for visiting our forum and expressing your concerns. We understand your frustrations. Previously I tried explaining the potential causes. Neiby, as I mentioned previously the problem you are experiencing is with the Software Licensing Service.  The Software Licensing Service, itself, is part of the WGA sub-system, the process for starting and stopping services is a Core Vista system and would normally be supported by Vista Support.  This is why I recommended for you to open a support ticket. They will try and resolve your problem. Also keep in mind as I mentioned it may require a reinstallation of Vista. This would be a last resort as we do understand the work involved with this action.

You said, "The people who stole hacked versions of it don't have this problem." Well let me provide some interesting information and hopefully this will help clarify matters more. Under NO circumstances should anyone try to download/distribute ISO images for software from a P2P file sharing site or use a second-hand burned copies of software. Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about anyone’s system integrity should they use non-genuine Windows or any other software for that matter.  Please take time and visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy . Here you can research some interesting information. Neiby this doesn't only pertain to the software industry but other commodities as well. 

Hopefully this will provide you with more information. Thank you and have a great weekend.

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 22, 2009 9:53 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:53 PM

All replies

• Tati70,

Sorry to hear that you feel this way. If you need assistance I will do my best. 

Thank you,

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 22, 2009 6:33 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:33 PM
  • What's truly sad and ironic is that this whole WGA mess is supposed to help stop people from using unauthorized copies of Vista, but the only people who are having problems with WGA are the people who bought it legitimately! The people who stole hacked versions of it don't have this problem. It's very frustrating to me. I have a valid copy of Vista that I can't validate. I'm still waiting on a response back regarding my support ticket with the WGA group. I sure hope we can get this fixed soon. I don't appreciate being locked out of Control Panel and some other things simple because Vista is broken.

I know how the OP feels, though. If I didn't have a handful of Windows-only programs that I have to use for now (pro audio), I'd be very tempted to just install the latest Ubuntu and be done with it.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Hello Neiby,

Thank you for visiting our forum and expressing your concerns. We understand your frustrations. Previously I tried explaining the potential causes. Neiby, as I mentioned previously the problem you are experiencing is with the Software Licensing Service.  The Software Licensing Service, itself, is part of the WGA sub-system, the process for starting and stopping services is a Core Vista system and would normally be supported by Vista Support.  This is why I recommended for you to open a support ticket. They will try and resolve your problem. Also keep in mind as I mentioned it may require a reinstallation of Vista. This would be a last resort as we do understand the work involved with this action.

You said, "The people who stole hacked versions of it don't have this problem." Well let me provide some interesting information and hopefully this will help clarify matters more. Under NO circumstances should anyone try to download/distribute ISO images for software from a P2P file sharing site or use a second-hand burned copies of software. Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about anyone’s system integrity should they use non-genuine Windows or any other software for that matter.  Please take time and visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy . Here you can research some interesting information. Neiby this doesn't only pertain to the software industry but other commodities as well. 

Hopefully this will provide you with more information. Thank you and have a great weekend.

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 22, 2009 9:53 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Believe me, I wouldn't go near a hacked version of any operating system! You might get a decent one, but chances are you'll get a lot of malware along for the ride. No way would I chance it. But in discussing this current problem with others on non-Microsoft forums, I've seen responses from a couple of people who did use hacked versions and they, obviously, don't have issues with WGA or the Software Licensing Service. That's the most frustrating aspect of this: to have a valid copy of it that I can't validate.

I opened a support ticket last night, but I haven't received a response yet. Maybe I won't get one until after Memorial Day.  :( 

I do appreciate the help of everyone on this forum. I'm sure we'll get it resolved soon.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Neiby,

No problem. I wanted you to know that we are trying our best to serve you. As far as others not having problems with "non-genuine" software I am sure their problems are with others controllling their system. Sooner or later the non-genuine versions of WGA will become detected and then they will have issues. Neiby, as I mentioned the SLS issue you are experiencing is probably with the actual operating system vs. the SLS portion of WGA. Would you please post us back with what you are given for a fix action. This would be great so as to help others. As this falls outside our support scope should it fall on the OS side.

Thank you again and will talk with you soon.

Stephen
    Friday, May 22, 2009 11:30 PM