Lookup Type greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Entity which contains an attribute. The attribute has a Type which is a lookup. The Type field is greyed out and so I am unable to add to the lookup.

Anyone any ideas how I can add to this lookup?

J.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:47 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the replies Muhammad and Timothy.

I have found what I was looking for in Business Management and then Subjects.

I just wanted to be able to update the Subject Lookup list and it is in here that I can do this.

Apologies if you misunderstood what I was talking about.

J.

• Marked as answer by JMcCon Friday, May 7, 2010 10:49 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 10:49 AM

All replies

• I am guessing this is because of security role permission check the Append/Append To Privilege for this Look up Entity for your user record.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:59 PM
  • check following article on more information regarding this

http://inogic.blogspot.com/2010/05/append-vs-append-to.html

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by JMcCon Friday, May 7, 2010 10:49 AM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Thanks for the reply MayankP.

That doesn't resolve my issue.

What my problem is that I want to update the options in the Lookup field but I cannot.

I went into the actual Attribute but the Type lookup was greyed out and so I cannot seem to find how I can update the list of options in the lookup field.

J.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Hi

You  cannot change the  type  of  a lookkup  attribute (or for that matter any attribute  after it is created).

If  you want  to add options to  the lookup:- Lookup means lookup  to the other entity. so u add instances  of  the other  entity and once   you click  on the lookup it will give u all  the options. e.g. An account  has a lookup  for  the  primary contact.  so  you  can add as many contacts in MS CRM system as you want and  once  you click  the primary contact  lookup on  account form.  you  will have all the contacts avaialbe to you.

i hope  it helsp.

Muhammad Ali Khan
    My MS CRM blog
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:53 PM
  • I know this might seem obvious, but I figured I would post a possibility here just in case.

A lookup field is usually indicative of a relationship between the current entity and some other entity.  If the current entity is not saved in CRM yet, it will gray out the relationship field until you save the current entity.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by JMcCon Friday, May 7, 2010 10:46 AM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Thanks for the replies Muhammad and Timothy.

I have found what I was looking for in Business Management and then Subjects.

I just wanted to be able to update the Subject Lookup list and it is in here that I can do this.

Apologies if you misunderstood what I was talking about.

J.

• Marked as answer by JMcCon Friday, May 7, 2010 10:49 AM
    Friday, May 7, 2010 10:49 AM