Vista SP1 Broke my Activation RRS feed

• Question

•  

My previously activated and genuine (as far as I know - I paid for it and got a sticker and genuine looking DVD, at least) copy of Vista Home Premium is insisting I activate it after I installed SP1.  Online activation fails, and phone activation complains that my phone code doesn't match the install code.

My Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool log is as follows:

-----------------------------------

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Cached Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-D6PYY-WKHDD-BFVTG
    Windows Product Key Hash: 8Dxa77h9JXDG1gjSOpdem3jtixI=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7304151-79760
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {2B750315-3E12-49CE-88E1-7DE8158DA460}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_77F760FE-152-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2B750315-3E12-49CE-88E1-7DE8158DA460}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-BFVTG</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7304151-79760</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-286697044-2067975071-3578741185</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>GBT___</Manufacturer><Model>NVDAACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>F8h</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20070521000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F6303507018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Cen. Australia Standard Time(GMT+09:30)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

-----------------------------------

I can't do the online Genuine Advantage test because I'm no longer validated.

Any help greatly appreciated - my loungeroom has ground to a halt and my family will be annoyed when they wake up!

Glenn

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:26 PM

Answers

• Please follow these steps:

1)    Log on.
    2)    Choose "Run computer with REDUCED Functionality- this will open an internet browser.
    3)    Click on FILE on the icons above.
    4)    Click on "Open file".
    5)    Open COMPUTER>WINDOWS>SYSTEM32.
    6)    Once you get to system 32, Scroll down to the filename "
    cmd".
    7)    Right-click on it then select: 
    Run it As Administrator.
    8)    Minimize your browser then you should see a "black window" where you need to type something.
    9)    Now this is the most important: type:
    slmgr.vbs -rearm
    10)  If successful, a message would appear saying the operation is successful.
    11)  Restart your Computer.
    12)  Log on: Your problem should be solved.

How to Get Out of Reduced Functionality Mode in Vista:http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/121866-reduced-functionality-mode.html

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Hi theangryibis,

I have some additional steps that you can try. I am unsure if they will help in your situation, but they shouldn't hurt anything.  Try the first set of steps and if 'no joy', move on to the next set.

(If you access to the start button)

1) Click the Start button

2) Type cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

(If you Do Not access to the start button)

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc %windir%\System32\licensing\ppdlic\Security-Licensing-SLC-ppdlic.xrm-ms

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

12) You may be required to Re-Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined above

Thank you,

Darin

Friday, February 8, 2008 11:31 PM

All replies

• You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Thanks Carey, 

Unfortunately I do not have a start button - I am accessing my computer through the "reduced functionality" option, which is only giving me IE.  If I shut down IE I am back to the activation options screen, prior to log on.

Glenn

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Please follow these steps:

1)    Log on.
    2)    Choose "Run computer with REDUCED Functionality- this will open an internet browser.
    3)    Click on FILE on the icons above.
    4)    Click on "Open file".
    5)    Open COMPUTER>WINDOWS>SYSTEM32.
    6)    Once you get to system 32, Scroll down to the filename "
    cmd".
    7)    Right-click on it then select: 
    Run it As Administrator.
    8)    Minimize your browser then you should see a "black window" where you need to type something.
    9)    Now this is the most important: type:
    slmgr.vbs -rearm
    10)  If successful, a message would appear saying the operation is successful.
    11)  Restart your Computer.
    12)  Log on: Your problem should be solved.

How to Get Out of Reduced Functionality Mode in Vista:http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/121866-reduced-functionality-mode.html

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Hi theangryibis,

Vista (and XP) uses the Hardware IDs from a number of Hardware items connected to the computer (Hard drives, graphic cards..so on) to form a Master Hardware ID for the computer. If any of the hardware IDs change, the master ID changes. If the master ID changes too much (called OOT or Out Of Tolerance), Vista (and XP) will ask to be reactivated.

Recently, we have found that some Drivers will change the hardware ID of the hardware it controls. Normally this isn't enough to make Windows go OOT, but if a number of new drivers are installed or if  some hardware was changed out or added (even if it was done some time in the past) and then new drivers are installed, Windows may go OOT. SP1 does included updated drivers for some pieces of hardware.

So what I believe happened was either SP1 installed enough new drivers to force Vista to go OOT or you may have changed out some hardware in the past (which pushed your Hardware ID almost to OOT) and SP1 installed a driver that nudged it ovet the edge.

This is fairly uncommon, but can happen.

As for your issue with re-activating, you can only activate over the internet when you first activate. Any additional re-activations must be done by phone. To do so when in Reduced Fuctionality mode, please follow the below steps:

If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, your default internet browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Carey:
    Thanks again for your help.  This process didn't change anything.

Darin:

I have tried this, and spoken to 2 live reps.  I have still ended up with the same problem and they both needed to transfer me back to a number in Australia, and it's Saturday over here. 

I have tried to do a system restore so we can watch TV over the weekend, but it tells me there are no restoration points.

Is there anything else I can do in the meantime?

Thanks,
    Glenn

Friday, February 8, 2008 10:22 PM
  • Hi theangryibis,

I have some additional steps that you can try. I am unsure if they will help in your situation, but they shouldn't hurt anything.  Try the first set of steps and if 'no joy', move on to the next set.

(If you access to the start button)

1) Click the Start button

2) Type cmd in the Start Search field

3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

(If you Do Not access to the start button)

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

12) You may be required to Re-Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined above

Thank you,

Darin

Friday, February 8, 2008 11:31 PM
  • Thanks Darin.

I tried step 1 (with no access to the start button).  No change.

When I tried step 2, "net stop slsvc" returns:

System error 1816 has occurred.

Not enough quota is available to process this command.

Does that give us any hints?

Glenn.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:45 AM
  • Darin,

Further to my last, I played around a little, and discovered I could get step 2 working if I shut down internet explorer.

After I succesfully carried step 2 out, I had the message that my copy had been tampered with, please reenter my product code.   I did, it said that it failed to activate, but then after another reboot it is now working.

Thanks for your help,

Glenn

Saturday, February 9, 2008 3:28 AM