Logging in as "Guest" changes Windows to un-Genuine RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully validated my copy of Windows XP Pro SP2. There are no WGA notifications for Administrators and regular Users. However, when the Guest account is logged in, WGA notifies that Windows is not genuine. These notifications persist to appear in the login screen until an Administrator re-validates. This is a major pain in the you-know-where! Please help me fix this.

I read somewhere to check the file permissions of wga.dbl (or something like that?) in /windows/system32, and my permissions allow all users to read.

Here is the output of MGADiag.exe:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-C6KYC-WJBF3-BFYPG
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ft5Y3QJd1p8D7mQawjH6DvRyiqU=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-006-0219986-22104
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: SNVK5W5
    ID: 6d1cf74f-4f8e-43b8-b333-ef84169583d1
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    Cache refresh Interval: 344 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: E:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>6d1cf74f-4f8e-43b8-b333-ef84169583d1</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-BFYPG</PKey><PID>55274-006-0219986-22104</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-861567501-507921405-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System Manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS P2B-F ACPI BIOS Revision 1013.A                            </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="0"/><Date>20000818000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>236A398F01840E6D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thank you for your assistance!
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 3:56 PM

Answers

• When I first tried to run the diagnostics as "Guest", I got a Windows error saying that the .exe was not a Win32 application! Then, as administrator, I added Guest to the permissions for the .exe and it seems to run fine.

The WGA Signature Type was "Unknown". I followed your instructions in the sticky post on this forum. ("Common problems and fixes")... downloaded the WGA notifications update, installed it, and restarted.

The problem has been solved. Thank you.

I'll close with this comment to Microsoft Corporation: This WGA update was a very nasty thing to deal with. Even though I have genuine software, I was threatened by Microsoft and was demanded to pay up for a "real" license. I fully did not appreciate the tone or the manner of notification... forced to wait 5 seconds before logging in -- that is ridiculous!! This WGA notification SHOULD HAVE WORKED THE FIRST TIME. Instead, I wasted precious time finding this forum, searching it, installing an update to the update, and restarting my system yet again!

Angered by Microsoft and its apparent disrespect toward its customers,
    --posco
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:00 PM
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 9:33 AM

All replies

• What is a "sysprep image?"
    Thanks.

Friday, September 15, 2006 5:56 PM
  • posco:

My apologies, I think I mis-read your thread :)

Could you run the diagnostics on your Guest account? It looks like a simple registry permissions issue (just wanting to verify with the diagnostics tool)

Thanks!

-phil

Friday, September 15, 2006 10:55 PM
  • When I first tried to run the diagnostics as "Guest", I got a Windows error saying that the .exe was not a Win32 application! Then, as administrator, I added Guest to the permissions for the .exe and it seems to run fine.

The WGA Signature Type was "Unknown". I followed your instructions in the sticky post on this forum. ("Common problems and fixes")... downloaded the WGA notifications update, installed it, and restarted.

The problem has been solved. Thank you.

I'll close with this comment to Microsoft Corporation: This WGA update was a very nasty thing to deal with. Even though I have genuine software, I was threatened by Microsoft and was demanded to pay up for a "real" license. I fully did not appreciate the tone or the manner of notification... forced to wait 5 seconds before logging in -- that is ridiculous!! This WGA notification SHOULD HAVE WORKED THE FIRST TIME. Instead, I wasted precious time finding this forum, searching it, installing an update to the update, and restarting my system yet again!

Angered by Microsoft and its apparent disrespect toward its customers,
    --posco
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:00 PM
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 9:33 AM