Complete n00b in need of help... RRS feed

• Question

• If I have imported a single database and have 2 entities, how do I have shared fields for the data between the 2 entities, e.g., I have a field in the DB named "CustomerName" and I have 2 Entities, "Entity 1", Entity 2", I want to have "CustomerName" in both entities as a field. Do I have to create identical fields in each entity?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:48 PM

All replies

• Each entity has independent attribute sets. As such, you will need CustomerName in each set of entities, most of the time.

However, if you really only need to have the field on one entity, and you're going to have a parent/child relationship between the two entities, you can make a quick form for the parent entity that can be embedded in the child entity. This can be one or multiple attributes from the parent entity, and it works almost like an IFrame inside the child entity form. This means the data never "lives" inside the child entity, something you'll need to take into account for reporting and views, but it does work well in a lot of situations. (note, this is only for CRM 2013/CRM Online.  2011 and older doesn't have this function)

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:11 PM
  • If the records are not related - yes, duplicating the field would be the way to go. 

If you are using CRM 2013 and the records are related (Parent-Child) you can use a Quick View form to display parent data on the child record.

Quick View Forms in CRM 2013

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:12 PM
  • This may sound stupid, but when I create a new entity, the fields from my DB aren't showing in the "Fields" section. Do I just have to create the field and make sure the name matches the name in the DB?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:10 PM
  • It does not have to be the same name, but if they're not, then you will have to data map during the db load.  Don't forget to publish your changes in CRM so those fields are available to load data into.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:33 PM
  • Do I need to re-import the DB if I create a new entity? Do I need to re-import the DB if I create a new solution? Basically I'm learning this as I go, and when I have a better idea of exactly what I'm doing, I will take everything I've learned and create a new solution, so knowing whether or not I need to re-import the DB is kinda important  :0)
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:40 PM
  • New entities are always going to start blank.  There's nothing in the database for them because they didn't exist before.

Solutions are just containers for entity definitions (and some other stuff, but for what we're talking about, this is the case).  As such, they just define structure as it exists, it does not add anything.  So putting things into solutions won't alter the data at all.

Now if you MOVE that solution to a new, blank CRM, you don't take any of the data. Solutions only define structure.  You'll get your entity structure created, but that's it. Solution management is generally for promoting configuration, JS, and Plugins from a dev environment to production, and you definitely don't want dev data in prod.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:55 PM