Slow computer after installing Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• As the title states, my computer has been running very slow after installing OneCare.  I even started with all of the recommendations that OneCare suggested, and it is slower now.  I am using Windows XP with a Pentium 4 processor.  Thanks for any help you can afford me.
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Poor performance is usually caused by conflicting software such as other antivirus or antispyware products. Uninstalling conflicting programs usually resolves this issue. If you cannot find any conflicting software on your computer I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Saturday, August 16, 2008 4:06 PM
  • I have 3 computers running OneCare all run respectively well but then a service called MsMpEng.exe kicks in and just taxes the CPU like a saddist to put it mildly.   You can verify if this is occuring to you by calling up the task manager and you may have to be patient while it loads.  Once its up then click on Services and check is MsMpEng.exe is tying up your CPU or not do not be surprised if you see it taking up over 90% of your CPU.

Here are some postings that will give you some insite to this issue.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2704162&SiteID=2

There are many other issues which can cause your computer to slow down not related to OneCare but may have become more noticable after the install.   What I can tell you is that I have run other similar products from Norton and MacAffee and I can tell you they caused my computer to bog down more then OneCare ever did which is why I no longer use those products.   Its safe to say the more tasks your running on your computer the more noticable the performance degrades.  Because we all run different applications and have different hardware configurations its often difficult to advise people on how to increase their system performance without having a first hand look at their system.

Your hard drive can impact the performance if its nearing full capacity or is needs to be defragged.   Some applications require more memory then others and if your short on memory then your performance is going to be impacted.

One of my computers is a P4 running XP Pro with a Gig of RAM and for years its run extremely well but my performace is becomming degraded because of my hard drive which I will change out soon and because some of the newer applications I have been running are memory hoggs so I will have to increase the RAM.

Anyway good luck.  I am sorry I rambled on but I think I have pointed you in the right direction to start looking for your corrective action.

Friday, November 14, 2008 5:45 AM
  • MSMPENG.EXE should never use 90% of the CPU. It can get close for a few minutes when the quick scan is running, which will happen shortly after boot if the PC was off when the scheduled scan was set to take place (default is overnight).

If the CPU is pegged by msmpeng, it is most likely due to a conflict of some sort. Since you referred to another discussion on the problem, I trust that you have already investigated this and perhaps even reported it or you're okay with living with it for now.

-steve

• Proposed as answer by asdfghasdfgh Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:23 AM
    Friday, November 14, 2008 1:37 PM
  • My computer became too slow to work after installing windows live onecare antivirus, which was earlier working very fine speed with awast free antivirus software. I waited for so long to download this heavy file from internet, but it turned out to be of no use. During the installation of this OneCare, I had to uninstall my earlier free antivirus awast with which my computer was working perfectly, with good workable speed. But after installation of this windows life onecare my computer became too slow, and I again had to uninstall this onecare application. I dont know why someone will pay for this application, at least i will dump this software in trash? I wasted my 4-5 hrs working on this stupid job. Guys, just dont install this onecare.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 1:56 PM
  • I'm sorry you had issues with your One Care installation. The most common cause of poor performance is the presence of conflicting software such as other antivirus, antispyware, or incomplete uninstallation of previously installed security software. Your experience may have been better if you had uninstalled all security software prior to installing One Care.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 4:19 PM