vista home premium validation trouble RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have 3 computers running windows vista home premium OEM, 2 pc's and one laptop, all with a different OEM versions of windows vista, ALL paid for!! No trouble on 1 pc and my laptop.

However, on my other PC, which I have recently updated some minor hardware (DVD-rom player and an extra HDD) I'm having trouble with validation... I've re-installed my Vista on this machine and there is no trouble activating and validating windows, it says it is activated and genuine. However, when I go to download center on microsoft.com to download mobile device center for my pocket pc, it asks to validate my windows. So I do. Then I get the message my windows needs to be activated before validating. My windows says it is activated, so I cannot validate.

I've tried phone activating, but this didn't work...

Today I re-installed windows again and all was fine... I even got to download the mobile device center driver from download centre (so validation worked at this point). When I tried another download it suddenly said my windows needed to be validated and again it told me it needed to be activated first...

My question is, is this a bug in the WGA site or in windows vista WGA or is it I'm doing something wrong??? I paid for all this and now I've got nothing...

thank you for every help available

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:11 AM

Answers

• Hello everyone,

Today I recieved an email from microsoft technical support in the netherlands... it seems the trouble was caused by reinstalling too many times in too short a period (which is correct, for I re-installed two times this week). The activation server just doesn't accept that.

I was adviced to contact activation phone service and speak to one of the people there. So I did and I got my activation code. They were very nice and willing to help me solve this problem.

Activation went succesfully, but after reboot it still said my windows wasn't genuine (or legitimate), so I called technical support line for my country (the Netherlands) but had to wait. During the waiting time I thought I might try to validate windows online (http://www.microsoft.com/genuine) and it worked!!

So it may be of help to some users to note that after a succesfull activation by phone, you still need to validate online to make your windows genuine again.

Anyway, thank you very much for your quick response to my questions!

yours sincerely,

Dnaleor

Monday, May 7, 2007 10:47 PM

All replies

• Kind of irritating, but i had the same "re-register" demand after installing some small piece of hardware.  Maybe a wireless modem.  i had to phone into the registration center and talk to the carbon-based life form to get re-registered.  Carbon-based lifeform said this would be necessary after adding any piece of hardware.  On a new install, i would not suggest registering the VISTA OS until you had every piece of peripheral added that you ever thought would be required.  I'm even reluctant to add the 8-channel speaker system that i forgot to plug in while testing the new box. 

Good luck.  Maybe they (MS) will fix this problem with some update, someday.  It's really the only genuinely irritating feature of VISTA that i've run into so far.

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:40 AM
  •  

Please post the results of the WGA diagnostics tool (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) with any new question. 

Please also post the error code you get (if any) when you validate by clicking "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine
    The error code will be gray and in brackets at the end of them message on the page that says validation failed.  (It'll look something like this:  [0xC004C000]).

Thank you!

Monday, May 7, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Hello everyone,

Today I recieved an email from microsoft technical support in the netherlands... it seems the trouble was caused by reinstalling too many times in too short a period (which is correct, for I re-installed two times this week). The activation server just doesn't accept that.

I was adviced to contact activation phone service and speak to one of the people there. So I did and I got my activation code. They were very nice and willing to help me solve this problem.

Activation went succesfully, but after reboot it still said my windows wasn't genuine (or legitimate), so I called technical support line for my country (the Netherlands) but had to wait. During the waiting time I thought I might try to validate windows online (http://www.microsoft.com/genuine) and it worked!!

So it may be of help to some users to note that after a succesfull activation by phone, you still need to validate online to make your windows genuine again.

Anyway, thank you very much for your quick response to my questions!

yours sincerely,

Dnaleor

Monday, May 7, 2007 10:47 PM
  • When I try to validate my copy of windows vista, I don't get any error message. It won't give me the information bar at the top to "install active x" so I click to try the alternate method and when I click continue in step one, it says "internet explorer cannot display the web page". I have tried several times. I am obviously connected to the internet. I think it's a problem with the site.

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:21 PM
  • I get the same "cannot display" take-a-hike message when trying to install MS Live IM program.  Running Vista Home Premium 64-bit with massive resources, so it isn't your computer that is causing the problem.  This is just one of the irritants I'm putting up with until SP-1 is unleashed.  That will be a year of trying to make this Vista test box go mainline.  Also have serious USB and CD glitches that should be fixed with SP1.  Also, with the resources on this box, and the few programs and demands on it, the box should be responding to commands much faster than it seems to.  Hopefully, SP1 for Vista will bring Vista up to what we need and expect. 

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:28 PM