Entering the safe mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ...
    I need a code to enter safe mode
    After the restart into safe mode again after I launched myself back into standard mode
    How do I do it?
    • Moved by Jason Dot Wang Friday, February 22, 2013 9:12 AM This thread is not relative to Visual C#
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:09 PM

Answers

• If you're talking about the boot up safe mode, for practical purposes, you can not.   You might be able to effect a "pseudo" safe mode by manipulating the registry control set to mimic the same mode settings.    Unfortunately, once in safe mode, you may find it impossible to undo those changes.

Please explain what it is you are trying to do?

• Proposed as answer by CoolDadTx Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:28 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:36 PM

All replies

• If you're talking about the boot up safe mode, for practical purposes, you can not.   You might be able to effect a "pseudo" safe mode by manipulating the registry control set to mimic the same mode settings.    Unfortunately, once in safe mode, you may find it impossible to undo those changes.

Please explain what it is you are trying to do?

• Proposed as answer by CoolDadTx Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:28 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:36 PM
  • As Ron mentioned you cannot programmatically trigger safe mode.  Windows enters safe mode when it detects something went wrong during the last run of Windows (a blue screen or something).  Because this happens early in the Windows boot process you cannot programmatically force it short of writing a device driver or something that causes a fault.  But a faulty driver will more likely prevent the system from ever booting again because most drivers aren't loaded in safe mode (for obvious reasons) so you have no way of telling your driver not to fault the next time.  Hence you'll be in an infinite loop.  Technically, provided no fault occurs, Windows will restart in normal mode after safe mode resets things.

If you are trying to test some driver or something and you just need to get Windows into safe mode for testing purposes then you can get Windows to display the start screen at boot.  Here's one link on how to do that: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Michael Taylor - 2/21/2013
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/p3net

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Hi Abbas,

Welcome to MSDN Forum Support.

I feel that what you want to know is not relative to Visual C#. Here is the Visual C# forum used to solve the programming issue when you are composing code within c# language,so I suggest you that you need to find out the solution about application problem at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us.

Sincerely,

Jason Wang

Jason Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Abbas Naghdi Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Abbas Naghdi Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:44 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 9:12 AM
  • Hi
    Thank you for help
    I need to have a code to change my computer in Safe Mode Registry win (after restart)
    I want to change the Registry go to Safe Mode
    How to do it?
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:47 PM