none
Defective OEM Software? RRS feed

• Question

• I( have a multitude of problems, and questions regardig Windows Home Server 2011.

Problem one is that I bought a book as refrence regardint the Server 2008 R2 Platform since I newly purchased Windows Home Server 2011 whjich is based on the Server 2008 R2 platform. Well I found that it will not "dcpromo" for Active Directory Wizard to start. So that at I do not lose anybody I installed the software from fresh install from boot. I discovered that I haven't installed the roles but the thing is I expected it to be in the Roles List in Server Manager by default. No they are not there. Instead I find them in "Features".

Are they missing?

I Discovered that I should try a front end fresh install since I'm lead to believe is the Full server install and that the required AD DS rolses would be on the menu at start. At first product key it takes it fine. Second entry it says Invalid Key.

Anybody have the answer I aprpreciate it.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:09 PM

All replies

• Running DCPROMO on your Windows Home Server 2011 server is explicitly prohibited in the EULA, and changing the domain/workgroup information (which dcpromo will do) will break other services that Windows Home Server 2011 requires for correct operation, so I'm not surprised the command itself is unavailable or blocked.

Honestly, if you want/need a general purpose Windows Server 2008 R2 server, Windows Home Server is not the answer. Just as V1 wasn't intended, or sold, by Microsoft as Windows Server 2003 "lite", WHS 2011 isn't Windows Server 2008 R2 "lite". For testing/learning purposes, you can use Technet or MSDN software if you have a subscription (or Microsoft probably has time limited trial software downloads available); for production use you should buy the appropriate operating system for your needs.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:19 PM