Power failure! How to check for currupt files? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS server is on a 1200W UPS, but the USP battery did not outlast the power outtage, in spite of my backup power generator.  (The generator supplied "dirty" power, so the UPS kept going back to battery mode, and eventually wore down.  And, no, I did not have communication between the UPS and server setup.  Obviously, I need to work on that.  The UPSs on my workstations all survived just fine, so as luck would have it, the server's battery was the weakest.)

My question:  What can I do to look for possible file corruption or other gremlins?  I do not have any apparent problems, but maybe there's something lurking inside.  Is it safe the run the disk checking tool in Computer Management's Disk Management module?  Something else I could look for?

Thanks for your help.
    Randy
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:40 PM

Answers

• rdb195 said:

Sounds good, thanks.    I'm aware that some of the tools in Administrative Tools can break WHS.  Do you know if it is safe to run the disk checking tool?  (Call me paranoid.)

Randy

Strictly speaking, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.  Having said that, yes it's safe.  (Do a search in this forum for "chkdsk" and you'll see quite a few posts. :)  )
    • Marked as answer by rdb195 Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:53 PM
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:52 PM

All replies

• rdb195 said:

My WHS server is on a 1200W UPS, but the USP battery did not outlast the power outtage, in spite of my backup power generator.  (The generator supplied "dirty" power, so the UPS kept going back to battery mode, and eventually wore down.  And, no, I did not have communication between the UPS and server setup.  Obviously, I need to work on that.  The UPSs on my workstations all survived just fine, so as luck would have it, the server's battery was the weakest.)

My question:  What can I do to look for possible file corruption or other gremlins?  I do not have any apparent problems, but maybe there's something lurking inside.  Is it safe the run the disk checking tool in Computer Management's Disk Management module?

If you mean chkdsk, yes.

rdb195 said:

Something else I could look for?

Thanks for your help.
    Randy

Realistically, the only files that may be corrupted would be files that were being used at the exact time of the power failure.  Obviously your OS booted (apparently without errors), so it sounds like that's ok.  If you weren't actually playing any files at the time (which I would assume you weren't since your power was out :)  ), you are probably ok.  My suggestion at this point would be to check some random files (especially ones that may be irreplaceable, such as family photos) and see if they still work.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Sounds good, thanks.    I'm aware that some of the tools in Administrative Tools can break WHS.  Do you know if it is safe to run the disk checking tool?  (Call me paranoid.)

Randy
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:49 PM
  • rdb195 said:

Sounds good, thanks.    I'm aware that some of the tools in Administrative Tools can break WHS.  Do you know if it is safe to run the disk checking tool?  (Call me paranoid.)

Randy

Strictly speaking, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.  Having said that, yes it's safe.  (Do a search in this forum for "chkdsk" and you'll see quite a few posts. :)  )
    • Marked as answer by rdb195 Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:53 PM
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Thanks.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:54 PM