Old Money File RRS feed

• Question

• I used Money 2005 for a long time.  Moved fromm XP to 7 and continued to use the file "offline."  The older version of Money stopped working.  I installed Sunset, but I still cannot open the old backup file.  Keeps asking for a password.  Won't take any password I have used and will not accept the changed password I put in for Microsoft.  How can I open the file?

Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:38 PM

All replies

• Use the installation file pointed to by the first (sticky) post in this forum appropriate to your country.  This may require uninstalling Sunset first.

Do not attempt to change your old LiveID; that won't help. UK and International versions of Money will not let you remove a LiveID-- you would have to continue to log in offline. With Sunset you can remove a Live ID, but it will not read a UK or International file.

If you have a further problem, what geographic version of Money did you install?

Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:49 PM
  • I assume it is a US version.  Came with a Dell computer I ordered back in 2006.  I also tried to open the file with Quicken and Microsoft Accounting, but neither will open.  Still wants a password and the password won't work. Don't know where to go from here.
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Was the Dell computer shipped to the US?

Did you have a password or a Passport or a LiveID on your file, and if so, which? I could presume it was sent to the US, or you would have said so, but you never know.

What is it asking for now: a single password or an email address and a password?

What was the symptom when "the older version of Money stopped working"? You may want to try using File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:19 PM
  • It was shipped in the US to my address in the US

It asks for file id "email" and a password. 

Will not accept any password.  When I try to restore a file, it stil insists on a password.

Can't find repair money file.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:47 PM
  • I presume you did you have a LiveID on your file, and that you still have a good idea of what those credentials (email address and password) were.

Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, click below the
    password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." then click Next.

If you get into your file, remove your LiveID.   If you
    changed your LiveID, use the credentials that were in
    effect at the time that you saved that Money file.  To remove the
    Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your
    LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also see
    File->PasswordManager.

The password is case-sensitive.  If you are not sure of your
    credentials, write down what you remember.  Consider permutations.
    Check your notes.  You will not get into the file without those
    credentials in effect when the file was saved.

There are two ways to find the repair. One is to open Money and look for the word File at the top. You do not have to be into your Money file at that point. The other way is to run
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe"

You could paste that, with the quotes, into the Run box of Windows or into a command window.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:51 PM