Assigning custom activity entity to a contract RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

We're trying to modify Dynamics 2011 for the purposes of tracking many small tasks each of which "belongs" to a contract and needs to be assigned to a user i.e. carrying out many tasks under a maintenance contract for a contact/client.  I've created my own Activity entity and added the contract field but can't get this to show in my custom activity view.  I don't want to use contract lines and cases because they're not really cases, they're activities.  Also it's a pain trying to navigate the built in dynamics UI every time I want to add a task for a 5 minute job so really need to make this as slick as possible.

Any suggestions?  I'm aware I may be barking up completely the wrong tree and that dynamics may not be the tool for such a thing? Would be really good to be able to track all the tasks though, and which maintenance contract they fall under, and report on who carried it out, how long they took etc etc.

Thanks

Ben

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• I think you want to use workflows to automatically create activities for a contract.

What is the trigger for creating these activities?

you could either create the activities when the contract is created or you could have an on demand workflow which will run when you click it.

also if you have already created the a new activity, you should be able to click on a contract, add activity and it will automatically fill in the contract field.  If this doesn't you might need to look at your mappings.

Ben Hosking
    Check out my CRM Blog
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:06 PM
  • What it's for is really creating tasks for people to carry out work under a maintenance contract for the client so the trigger would be an email or phone call from the client asking us to do a specific piece of work e.g. change an ad on their website for them.

So it might be a 5 minute job to do, but what we want to avoid is spending 10 minutes admin just for a 5 minute job!  Ideally what I want is to be able to click "create my custom task" assign it to a contract and then use workflow to email the person who's to do the job as part of a workflow in the OnSave&Close event.  When they mark it complete I'll get it to email me back saying it's done.  Then I'll want the actual duration / time taken to be reportable against that contract so I can charge the client accordingly.

Is this do-able or am I using the wrong application?

Ben

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:30 PM
  • you don't want to do much do you?

you can setup workflows to do the functionality you are after.

on creation of your custom activity, you could set a workflow to email someone, where you specify who this is could be on the contract or assign the activity to that user and then use the owner of the customer activity.

You can also set a workflow to email you on a change of status of the custom activity (e.g. completed).

So I think you should start doing some reading up on workflows because what you are describing is an ideal use of workflows (e.g. time consuming tasks which can be automated).

Ben Hosking
    Check out my CRM Blog
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:22 PM
  • I've already found out how to email people upon specific events occurring but what I can't do is get the duration of completed tasks to show up against the contract.  Is there no summary field for durations or something like that?

Ben

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:21 PM
  • To do that I think you would need to run a plugin or javascript to calculate it.

it might be easier to create a report or chart which shows all the custom activities for a contract and then sums them up.

Ben Hosking
    Check out my CRM Blog
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

• Marked as answer by Craptiger Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:48 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:35 PM