Call routing from issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a two users setup in OCS 2007 local environment with Mediation server and VoIP gateway. Both users/clients have their phone extensions configured. The call routing from my phone to Communicator client works fine but when I try to call from one user's communicator client to other user's phone number, it does not ring the phone. Instead the call goes to commmuincator client.

Any clues on figuring out why the mediation server is not routing it to the VoIP gateway?

Thanks.    

Monday, July 9, 2007 3:13 PM

Answers

• After re-reading your post, I think this behavior is by design. OC will try to call the otehr OC client first. On the OC client, you have to set up call forwarding to redirect calls to the handset.

Friday, July 27, 2007 4:39 PM

All replies

• Can you verify that the call is getting routed from the OCS server to the Mediation server? If it is definitely getting to the Mediation server, can you verify that it is sending the call to the gateway? Look in the event logs to see if there are errors. Also, check on your gateway, see if there is a status window, that will show any incoming calls.

Once you know how far the call is getting  or where it is failing, then we can figure out what the problem is.

Monday, July 9, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply.

Looks like the OCS server is not doing the outbound routing. I used the OCS logging tool on the mediation server and OCS server. While connecting from phone to IM, the mediation server logged activity but from IM to phone it doesn't show any logged response. And from the OCS log, it shows that call is routed to the soft phone instead of going to analog phone.

The mediation server has correct settings for both VoIP gateway hop and OCS hop. Do I need to do anything on the OCS server to route the call to mediation server?

Thanks.

Monday, July 9, 2007 10:20 PM
  • Hi Chad,

It sounds like the Mediation server is setup correctly. Have you setup your Location Profiles, and phone number normalilzation rules? Routes, Policies and Phone Usages?

Have you set the Location Profile on the OCS server?

In the Office Communicator Server 2007 console, expand Forest - domain.com, expand Standard Edition Servers, and then click <POOL>.

Right-click <POOL>, click Properties, and then click Front End Properties

On the Voice tab, under Location Profile, select <LOCATION PROFILE> in the Location Profiles drop-down list.

Click OK.

You can use the Route Helper tool included with the Resource Kit to test your settings.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Hi Thom,

I already have all those settings in place.

And according to Route helper testing, all looks fine. I have tested  "Gateway" routing and "User" based routing Ad-hoc tests. The normalization rules are translating perfectly fine. The phone numbers tested are being translated to their corresponding user sip addresses. (Which I am guessing is the expected behavior).   

The only thing I am guessing is that when dialing a phone number from soft phone (IM), it translates it to user sip address (e.g. user@domain.com) instead and sends it to the called user soft phone which never gets forwarded to the analog phone (through gateway). That's just a guess.

I don't know what else to look for.

Thanks.    

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:17 PM
  • After re-reading your post, I think this behavior is by design. OC will try to call the otehr OC client first. On the OC client, you have to set up call forwarding to redirect calls to the handset.

Friday, July 27, 2007 4:39 PM