Primary Drive starting to have issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have a vintage WHS running PP3.  The system is stating to become a bit unreliable. When it boots it stops and throws an error to the effect the System Drive has an out of range issue, hit F1 to continue. WHS boots up. I log in and don't see any errors. Then I get an BOD that says something is wrong with ATAPI.SYS. Reboot, same thing. I've checked for viruses and malware. System is running for a while not without BOD. But I"m scared.

I have 700GB SATA - pimary, 1000GB secondary, and two 400GB ATA (master, slave).

I've read some posts that seem very old, so I want to confirm what would be the latest way to back up the system drive and then replace it, if possible.

Thanks!

Hugh

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Hugh,

did you check the event log of your server? Often you will see there more hints about disk issues (ntfs errors, damaged sectors).

If the server is running already for a while it may also be possible, that it collected a lot of dust inside, causing internal overheating of components and therefore random instabilities.

The normal way is to backup important data and after that perform a server reinstall, the exact procedure you should find in the manual of your device.

Replacing the disk and restoring from an image as you intended is something, which is not supported and only in a very few cases works (i.e. the disk ID should not change).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks. I have all the info to do this.

Machine gets blown out at least every few months, nothing in the event viewer.

I've been lurking and planning on building a new 64bit WHS. Just got side-tracked and this happend. I'm going to get on that pronto as well.

Hugh

Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:36 PM