Deploying custom ASP.NET front end into production with a firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all:

Most of my cusomt web development for CRM ahs been in intranet environments, and now I have a custoemr who needs to deploy an ASP.NET web site which connects to CRM. The site uses both the web services and some SQL queries, and the development has all been done on one server so everything is local. Now they want to deploy the web site onto a server in a DMZ, and have the CRM and SQL servers behind a firewall. So I imagine we need to open port 80 (or port 443 and use SSL) for the web services, but I am not sure what ports need to be opened for SQL? Also I imagine the site needs to be deployed as compiled DLLs (as opposed to jsut deploying the ASPX and .cs files), and teh web.config should be encrypted?

Can anyone offer any advice on this, and I also need to know a reasonable time estimate to deploy and test this setup, and then deploy to a production system after the test system is working. I am thinking at least a week to determine what needs to be done, and then do the deployment and test it, but that's a total guess.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

John.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 11:39 AM

Answers

• The port for sql is 1433 (TCP).

What are you storing in the web.config file?

I would probably just encrypt the fields that are sensitive

A week seems to be optimistic, but your org might actually do stuff rather than do processes.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:11 PM

All replies

• The SQL port is 1433, but I would recommend having the service layer (which executes SQL queries) in a custom web service hosted on the same server and can be accessed via port 80 (or 443 for https), and let your deployed web site only calls the web services.
    Islam Eldemery
    http://idemery.net
    idemery
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:06 PM
  • The port for sql is 1433 (TCP).

What are you storing in the web.config file?

I would probably just encrypt the fields that are sensitive

A week seems to be optimistic, but your org might actually do stuff rather than do processes.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:11 PM