Activate an OEM key after Vista trial? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I have a client who has just bought herself a new Mac but has decided she wants Windows instead. I have ordered a copy of Vista Home Premium OEM for her.

While I wait for that to arrive, will the following process work?
    • Install Vista without entering a product key.
    • Choose Home Premium.
    • Let her use system for a few days.
    • Once OEM copy arrives, enter OEM product key from packaging and activate.
    • All good?
    Assuming this process works, must the initially installed Vista be from an OEM DVD or will a retail DVD work?
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hi jpfree,

My manager believes that, to be on the safe side, the initially installed Vista should be from an OEM DVD. 

Otherwise there is a chance that the software from the Retail DVD won't accept the OEM product key and may require you to reinstall.

Thanks for the interesting question,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 12:27 AM

All replies

• Hi jpfree,

My manager believes that, to be on the safe side, the initially installed Vista should be from an OEM DVD. 

Otherwise there is a chance that the software from the Retail DVD won't accept the OEM product key and may require you to reinstall.

Thanks for the interesting question,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Ok, I tried this with a retail disc rather than OEM because I realised I didn't have an OEM.

For the record, installing with a retail disc and then activating later with an OEM key works perfectly. No reinstallation required.

This is definitely useful knowledge for me. I'll probably be using it again in the future.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:52 AM
  • Good information to know

Thanks for comming back and sharing jpfree!

Darin MS
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:28 PM