none
Swapping Harddrives RRS feed

• Question

• I will be adding (2) 1TB drives in the near future. Was wondering if I add the new drives to the storage pool and then removed the old drives I am currently using, would the data from the old drives be migrated to the new drives? Or do I have to move all the data to an external source and then do the swapping of harddrives. Thanks.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:34 AM

Answers

• I will be adding (2) 1TB drives in the near future. Was wondering if I add the new drives to the storage pool and then removed the old drives I am currently using, would the data from the old drives be migrated to the new drives?

Yep.

Or do I have to move all the data to an external source and then do the swapping of harddrives.

No.  WHS will handle the migration of files from one drive to another as long as you do the drive removal through the Console.

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Skyjumper Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:47 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response. That is what I was hoping would happen. Don't really want to move data around just tto swap harddrives. Thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by Skyjumper Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:46 AM

All replies

• I will be adding (2) 1TB drives in the near future. Was wondering if I add the new drives to the storage pool and then removed the old drives I am currently using, would the data from the old drives be migrated to the new drives?

Yep.

Or do I have to move all the data to an external source and then do the swapping of harddrives.

No.  WHS will handle the migration of files from one drive to another as long as you do the drive removal through the Console.

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Skyjumper Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:47 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response. That is what I was hoping would happen. Don't really want to move data around just tto swap harddrives. Thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by Skyjumper Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:46 AM