none
A newbie falls head first into the 1105 patch trap. RRS feed

• Question

• I think I might be walking down a well trodden path with this problem, but I'm crossing my fingers somebody can offer some help.  I had a PC meltdown recently which necessitated a hard drive reformat, but with data well backed up I thought there shouldn't be too many problems.  However, to my dismay, my re-installed Australian version of Money 2005 wouldn't restore either of two critical backup Money files.  One contains 13 years of personal financial records and the other 10 years' financial records for an organisation of which I'm Treasurer. An update to the  -----.1105 version I know would solve the problem but Money 2005 refuses to do this so I assume Microsoft are no longer making the patch available for download?  Is there a way out of this looming disaster?  I admit to being more than a tad worried right now.

Thanks.    

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by HughCam Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:08 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Thanks for that  -  great news!  I'll keep my eyes peeled for news of the installation file.  Meanwhile out with the pencil and paper!

Cheers.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:10 AM
  • You don't need pencil and paper.  Download the US version of Money Sunset http://www.microsoft.com/money/sunset.mspx and temporarily enter your current data there.  You can then manually enter this data (or export/import via QIF) into your new installation of M2005 when MS makes it available.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Good idea, thanks. 
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:23 AM
  • Hi guys, the problem is completely resolved.  I found a friend who has a working installation of Money 2005 with the 1105 patch. I paid him a visit tonight, copied his MNYCoreFiles to a USB drive, drove home, sat in front of the PC and carefully followed the directions in 

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

Everything worked flawlessly and I now have a working copy of Money 2005 version ------1105. Plus an installation CD with the patch incorporated in case I have to reinstall again sometime. I've done a copy of this for my friend as well, as insurance for him.  Backup files are fully restored and I'm glad to say I'm back in business.  It was so simple I'm surprised Microsoft don't just make a copy of the core files available for download, but there are probably issues I'm not aware of.  

By the way, simply renaming the delinquent core file folder as MNYCoreFiles.old and replacing it with the patched MNYCoreFiles folder didn't work for me.  I had to follow the article 630 process to the letter.   

I know this information won't be of much use to Money 2005 users who don't have access to a patched version, but those who do may like to know that the recovery process outlined in article 630 is a workable one.

Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:50 PM