WHS won't let me temporarily remove a backup drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm a HUGE fan of WHS, now got one server installed at house and one at the cottage. The cottage server is a "home built" machine, on which I routinely do server backups to a USB drive with no problems. Afer each backup, I "temporarily remove" the drive and switch it off. My server at the house is an Acer WHS box (which I mostly also love). Today, I attached an external drive via eSATA, formatted it, and "added" it as a server backup; then I did the backup successfully. However, when I clicked on the drive and said "Remove", the dialog box that appears has the "Stop using for backups" option selected, and won't let me choose the  "temporarily remove from storage pool" button. What gives??

I know how nasty things can get if I just power off a drive without first notifying the system, so what am I supposed to do?

Any and all knowledgable advice would be welcome.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:21 PM

Answers

• You will probably not be able to "temporarily" remove an eSATA drive. Many computers see eSATA as just another flavor of SATA, and SATA drives are not generally considered to be removable. Unfortunately, per this Connect feedback item, Microsoft will not be able to address this.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:23 PM

All replies

• You will probably not be able to "temporarily" remove an eSATA drive. Many computers see eSATA as just another flavor of SATA, and SATA drives are not generally considered to be removable. Unfortunately, per this Connect feedback item, Microsoft will not be able to address this.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I wondered about that. Well, I'll just connect it via USB and all should be well :-)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 3:50 PM