Anyone Else Seeing This Issue With Groove Music and WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft has released a new version of the Groove Music app (version 3.6.1210.0) for Windows 10, and this keeps losing my entire album collection, and trying to rebuild it in a never-ending cycle.

I have 1,000+ albums stored on a Windows Home Server 2011 system, and four Windows 10 PCs (desktop, laptop, a Windows Tablet and a Surface 3) all running Groove connected to it, with the root music folder on the WHS2011 system defined as a library (and hence defined as a watched folder within Groove).

Now that all the instances of Groove have been updated to version 3.6.12.10.0, what will happen is that when I'm viewing my Albums, the albums will suddenly disappear, Groove will say there are zero albums available offline, and  display the "Get some music" message. After some time (30 minutes?), or a restart of the app, Groove will start reindexing the music folders and albums will start appearing. This goes on (slowly!) until all the albums have been scanned from the WHS2011 folders, at which point they will all suddenly disappear again and the process starts over.

• Edited by Geoffc1 Saturday, August 8, 2015 6:23 AM
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 6:21 AM

All replies

• No! Just tried it and it added over 9000 tracks in a matter of a few minutes. No reindexing.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, August 8, 2015 3:50 PM
  • OK - interesting that 9000 tracks got added in a few minutes. Takes far longer here. So, next question: do you have the "retrieve missing album art and metadata" setting on or off?

Thanks,

Geoff Coupe

Saturday, August 8, 2015 4:01 PM
  • On WHS2011, it is "OFF". I have just noticed in Groove that Album Art was showing and now it's not. Album Art is embedded in the .mp3.

Your comment just got me thinking - I have switched off "Get Album Art" in Groove!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, August 8, 2015 4:10 PM
  • Yes, switch it off - otherwise Groove will stamp all over your carefully curated metadata!

I have it off.

Now, revisit Groove a few times over the next few days (and leave it open for a while), and see whether the albums are still there...

Thanks.

Geoff Coupe

• Edited by Geoffc1 Saturday, August 8, 2015 4:18 PM
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

If the problem still persists, you may provide this issue to the app’s developer, app built-in settings has provide the Feedback page.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 17, 2015 8:08 AM
  • Eve - as far as I am aware, both WHS2011 and Groove Music are Microsoft products.

Geoff - yes, mine has started to do the same as you observed. Interestingly it does not do it with a W10 Server.

Monday, August 17, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Thanks for the confirmation, Phil. Others are reporting it as well - it has also been seen on a Windows 2012 Server system.

I've reported it to Microsoft via the Feedback App and on the Answers.Microsoft.com community. Whether that will result in any action remains to be seen.

Monday, August 17, 2015 5:05 PM
  • Did you ever get this resolved?  I'm having exactly the same problem with my WHS2011 and "Groove".
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 11:28 PM
  • No, never got it resolved. Groove continues to be bug-ridden and limited. I've given up on it and have switched to another music system. I've also given up on WHS 2011, since it has now reached end of life as far as Microsoft is concerned. RIP WHS 2011.
    Friday, June 10, 2016 10:08 AM