How to force re-index of Media Library RRS feed

• Question

• I have problems similar to those reported by Geoff Coupe a few days ago. 

I added 1,943 MP3 files to my Music directory, and they showed up correctly in the Media Library.  However, I needed to delete the MP3s and recreate them in a different folder (still under Music).  But instead of the indexing system removing the deleted MP3 files and adding the recreated ones, it instead shows that I have 3,363 files.  So, somehow the indexing system did not remove the old ones correctly.  In fact, most of the albums listed via Media Library have duplicate versions of each song that won't play when you click on it.  The media is clearly not there, but the index database is still trying to point to it.

Any help?  Is there a way to force a reindexing? Where in IIS is this being done?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Craig

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:52 AM

All replies

• I have problems similar to those reported by Geoff Coupe a few days ago. 

I added 1,943 MP3 files to my Music directory, and they showed up correctly in the Media Library.  However, I needed to delete the MP3s and recreate them in a different folder (still under Music).  But instead of the indexing system removing the deleted MP3 files and adding the recreated ones, it instead shows that I have 3,363 files.  So, somehow the indexing system did not remove the old ones correctly.  In fact, most of the albums listed via Media Library have duplicate versions of each song that won't play when you click on it.  The media is clearly not there, but the index database is still trying to point to it.

Any help?  Is there a way to force a reindexing? Where in IIS is this being done?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Craig

There's some kind of "guideline" in an answer in the Vail Beta part of the forum, couldn't find it though...

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:04 AM
  • I am trying the following as I type this: Control Panel (on the WHS11 box) --> Indexing Options --> Advanced --> Rebuild.  This delete's and rebuilds the index on the WHS11 box. 

I will let you know how it works.  It should take some time to complete.  BTW, the Advanced tab also shows that the index is stored in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft

Craig

P.S. Thanks Christian. If you find anything, please let me know.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Craig,

I have the feeling that the index you're rebuilding is the index for the file system. I think, by Murphy's Law, the media services have their own index.

This thread seems to be dealing with your situation and gives a possible fix:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/whsvailbeta/thread/acf30d3b-c3e3-4880-af0e-d2d6c6ab2f53

• Proposed as answer by kariya21 Friday, June 17, 2011 5:15 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Geoff,

That did it!! Thanks. Many MS products have database issues.  Just the other day, I had to rebuild my wife's Windows Live Gallery database.

On another point, where is the album art stored?  My Windows Media Player on the WHS11 box has all of the album art correct.  But there are a handful missing via Media Library.

Craig

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Geoff,

That did it!! Thanks. Many MS products have database issues.  Just the other day, I had to rebuild my wife's Windows Live Gallery database.

On another point, where is the album art stored?  My Windows Media Player on the WHS11 box has all of the album art correct.  But there are a handful missing via Media Library.

Craig

Ok.  I guess I was wrong.  The same album covers missing via Media Library are the ones missing in WMP.  So, I guess that answers my question.

Craig

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Craig,

I have the feeling that the index you're rebuilding is the index for the file system. I think, by Murphy's Law, the media services have their own index.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/whsvailbeta/thread/acf30d3b-c3e3-4880-af0e-d2d6c6ab2f53

And again.

Had to restart the Media Sharing option to make newly transfered files to show up.
    Edit; Or newly. Transfered more than 24 hours ago.

Disturbing...

Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Hello to all,

I would like to ask if meanwhile somebody has found a better solution than the one described at the link above.

That solution is very manual, consumes plenty of time and therefore is nothing to be done regularly.

My problem is that I use DVB-Viewer and its Recording Service to record TV on the WHS-2011, as it is a pretty comfortable solution. Like this, since beginning of 2012 until today I have recorded 9 programs. Still today (17th of Jan) not a single of these videos appears at the "media library". By the way, as I grab them with DVB-Viewer they appear in the Video-library and not the "Recorded-TV".

So how long I need to wait for new contents to be shown on the media-library?

I would not mind instructing the WHS to scan every day the whole folders for changes because  I cannot believe that I need to do all the manual steps explained at above link each time I add a single file to the shares.

Is there any command, instruction or Add-On that can force a more frequent update?

Dear Microsoft-Team, please add a button or service to "refresh media library".

Many thanks for any hint in this regard.

viperhome

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:29 PM
  • I've posted this issue on the connect site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/718741/whs-2011-media-streaming-library-index-not-updating-deleted-renamed-items-folders#tabs

I've done some snooping around in the task scheduler and I noticed a section for media sharing.  I've tried manually running this task, but that doesn't seem to re-index the media files.

I'm wondering if there would be a way to setup something in task scheduler to perhaps turn off the sharing and delete the file and then re-enable.  It would have to be scripted out, but it has to be possible.   Anyone want to take a crack at it?

I totally agree, this is very annoying.  I just renamed a bunch of files and none of the names carry over to my xbox 360 or DLNA tv.  If they did my setup would be complete.

-Fo

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:05 PM
  • So I've been messing around with a way to make this happen.

I've created a batch script to be setup in the task scheduler, but it's not working completely.

It deletes the file, but I still have to manually toggle mediasharing off in the dashboard to get it to re-create the database file.

I also noticed when I turned it off and on that a process starts called wmpshare.exe  running from the mediastreamingadmin account.  (This is what kicks off the creation of the database file)

Here is the script thus far:

net stop WMPNetworkSvc
    net stop whsmss
    taskkill /U administrator /im wmpshare.exe /s fo-server
    cd C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\
    del /Q CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb
    del /Q wmpfolders.wmdb
    net start WMPNetworkSvc
    net start whsmss

Monday, January 23, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Craig,

And again.

Had to restart the Media Sharing option to make newly transfered files to show up.
    Edit; Or newly. Transfered more than 24 hours ago.

Disturbing...

I just had to report that I have been chasing my tail all week concerning the Media Library files disappearing after having access to them for a full day.  I've tried a lot of options, but the one you mentioned (turning off media sharing and turning back on) was all it took to restore all of my files in the Media Sharing section.  I have searched every resource I could find concerning this and the answers range from crazy to obvious.  Thanks for proposing something so simple that actually worked!

Friday, March 16, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:55 AM

I've created a batch script to be setup in the task scheduler, but it's not working completely.

It deletes the file, but I still have to manually toggle mediasharing off in the dashboard to get it to re-create the database file.

I also noticed when I turned it off and on that a process starts called wmpshare.exe  running from the mediastreamingadmin account.  (This is what kicks off the creation of the database file)

net stop WMPNetworkSvc
    net stop whsmss
    del /Q wmpfolders.wmdb
    net start WMPNetworkSvc
    net start whsmss

Hi did you get around not having to manually toggle media sharing on and off??
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:02 PM

net stop WMPNetworkSvc
    net stop whsmss
    del /Q wmpfolders.wmdb
    net start WMPNetworkSvc
    net start whsmss

Hi did you get around not having to manually toggle media sharing on and off??

Nope, I was not able to get around that.

Some microsoft guys contacted me about the bug, but I never really got a straight answer from them.

Serviio has become my primary way to share media over the built in being such a pain.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:53 PM