Install Issue with SATA HD on HP Workstation XW4300 RRS feed

• Question

• HI, long time lurker 1st time poster.  Great site.

I am trying to instal WHS onto my HP xw4300 workstation.  It had an old 160g ATA attached with an IDE ribbon cable (Seagate 7200.7 - ST3160021A) drive that i removed and replaced with brand new 1T WD SATA.

So i insert the cd and commence with the install.  Everything is fine until the 1st reboot, then i get the notice that Windows doesnt recognize my HD, and get the ugly blue screen.  After much trial and error, nothing to get it to work.  

So then I put the old drive ATA in and for some reason I can get it to load and run WHS.  Strange me thinks

SO then i try and add the WD SATA drive to the storage pool.  After reboot i see the new drive in the HP menu, but can't get WHS to recognize it.

After more research, I download some XP drivers from HP support site and after installing them, then i reboot and can add the SATA drive.

Confident I loaded the drivers onto a CD, unplugged my 160g drive and commenced another install attempt on the 1T SATA drive.  When the reboot occured, i hit the f6 and then inserted the CD.  Got the error message "setup could not find a floppy drive on your machine to load oem drivers from floppy disk"

Bottom line is on this machine i can instal and get WHS working on ATA drive, but not a SATA.

At this point I really want to use my SATA drive as the system drive, but not sure how to get this up and running.  And i really dont want to have to go through the setup and transfer method i discovered because if i ever need to recover from a system crash or HD failure, it'll be a nightmare.
    I'm not that strong technically, so i've now hit the wall and need some help.  anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    • Edited by mexeno Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:51 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:25 PM

Answers

• There are no native SATA drivers in the windows Server 2003 installation package, so if you are using a SATA driver in AHCI mode, or in RAID mode, you need to supply drivers. If you are using only SATA hard drives, you will need to supply these drivers twice. The first time will be in the initial graphical portion of setup, at the hardware discovery screen. the second time will be jsut after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt. Typically for the second, the only way you will be able to supply the drivers is on a floppy disk. CD-ROM or flash drive will not usually work.

An option if your controller supports it is to set the SATA ports to IDE compatibility (sometimes referred to as legacy IDE) mode. IN this mode, the drives look just like IDE drives, and they will usually function without any additional drivers. You will be giving up a small amount of theoretical performace, but other bottlenecks will normally overshadow this and in practice you will probably never notice.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:46 PM more info
    • Marked as answer by mexeno Friday, February 20, 2009 12:41 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Hi,
    the SATA emulation - change it to Separate IDE controller or combined IDE controller (I don't know, what the differences are, maybe the manual of your PC has a clue).
    Not sure also, if there will be any conflict with the built in IDE controllers (which you could disable, if there is no device attached), but I don't think so.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:13 PM

All replies

• There are no native SATA drivers in the windows Server 2003 installation package, so if you are using a SATA driver in AHCI mode, or in RAID mode, you need to supply drivers. If you are using only SATA hard drives, you will need to supply these drivers twice. The first time will be in the initial graphical portion of setup, at the hardware discovery screen. the second time will be jsut after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt. Typically for the second, the only way you will be able to supply the drivers is on a floppy disk. CD-ROM or flash drive will not usually work.

An option if your controller supports it is to set the SATA ports to IDE compatibility (sometimes referred to as legacy IDE) mode. IN this mode, the drives look just like IDE drives, and they will usually function without any additional drivers. You will be giving up a small amount of theoretical performace, but other bottlenecks will normally overshadow this and in practice you will probably never notice.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:46 PM more info
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Thanks Ken for the quick response. really appreciate it

So in the HP setup utility under storage options, there is 7 choices

Removable Media Boot  - enable/disable
    Legacy diskette write - enable/disable
    BIOS DMA Data Transfer - enable/disable

SATA Emulation - AHCI / Seperate IDE controller / Combined IDE Controller / RAID

IDE Controller  - enable/disable
    Primary SATA controller  - enable/disable
    Secondary SATA controller - enable/disable

the 1st 3 and last 3 are all set at enable and the SATA emulation is at AHCI.

this what you speaking about?

suggestions?
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Hi,
    the SATA emulation - change it to Separate IDE controller or combined IDE controller (I don't know, what the differences are, maybe the manual of your PC has a clue).
    Not sure also, if there will be any conflict with the built in IDE controllers (which you could disable, if there is no device attached), but I don't think so.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Thanks guys, that has me sorted.  Now on to resolve my connector issues

• Unmarked as answer by mexeno Friday, February 20, 2009 12:41 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 12:40 AM
  • I'm in the same boat, only when I hit F6, the computer, it ignores me and goes to Hit F2 for ASR and then goes to Starting Windows and the the lovely BSOD. I know thatthe keyboard works and if I hit F2, it goes to propt for the ASR disk. How can I get the SATA Drivers loaded into it? My wife is pissed as with the WHS down, the kids and her don't have the "Movies On Demand" that I have stored on the WHS. Please help!
    Thanks,
    Ted
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Ted V said:

I'm in the same boat, only when I hit F6, the computer, it ignores me and goes to Hit F2 for ASR and then goes to Starting Windows and the the lovely BSOD. I know thatthe keyboard works and if I hit F2, it goes to propt for the ASR disk. How can I get the SATA Drivers loaded into it? My wife is pissed as with the WHS down, the kids and her don't have the "Movies On Demand" that I have stored on the WHS. Please help!
    Thanks,
    Ted

Is this a New Installation or Server Reinstallation?  If you are using SATA drives in ACHI (or RAID) mode, you must install the drivers twice.  I would suggest trying it again (and repeatedly press F6 if necessary).  One other thought: is the keyboard connector PS/2 or USB?
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Hi!

Not sure if this is related - my WX4300 works ok but doesn't pick up the 2nd hdd - apparently they never could get RAID going.

I'm not bothered about RAID but would like to be able to use both 150 GB hdds - any suggestion?

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 10:39 AM