locked
PP3 autoupdate, then major connector issues!! RRS feed

  • Question

  • System: WHS server updated last night to PP3, (6) client machines running either XP, Vista, or 7.. 

    History: System has been working flawlessly for the last 9 months, all backups functioning, no other events except the occasional "file open" error when performing backups..

    Problem: After the server autoupdated to PP3 last night, NONE of my clients can connect to the WHS. First, it says I have to update the connector software, but when I do it states "operation can not be completed at this time", on ALL clients. So, I download the connector software, extract the connector software from the .iso, and run it locally on each client, and receive the same error.. 

    Then I locate and read the "new" connector troubleshooting doc and verify that I can talk to the server.

    I start firewall troubleshooting

    Step 1. I try the URL:  http://<YourServerName>:55000/enrollid/id.xml, and recieve the  <ID>1</ID> response.. which is correct.

    Step 2. I try the URL:  https://<YourServerName>:56000/enrollid/id.xml, and recieve the  <ID>1</ID> response.. which is NOT listed as a possible response
        [I did perform the  Microsoft Knowledge Base article 939218 instructions]

    Step 3. I try the URL:  http://<YourServerName>:55000/enrollid/id.aspx, and recieve the  "1/2 page of XML" response (see below).. is is correct?
    ------------------------------------------
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    - <ServerId>
      <Id>{A011EFFE-4265-409F-A0D2-743C0D5F62C8}</Id>
      <Admin>xxxxxx\xxxxxxx</Admin>
      <OobeStatus>0</OobeStatus>
      <OobeInProgressStatus>0</OobeInProgressStatus>
      <Path>C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\</Path>
      <Version>6.0.2423.0</Version>
      <Error />
      <Master>-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- MIICzgIBAzCCAooGCSqGSIb3DQEHAaCCAnsEggJ3MIICczCCAm8GCSqGSIb3DQEH BqCCAmAwggJcAgEAMIICVQYJKoZIhvcNAQcBMBwGCiqGSIb3DQEMAQYwDgQIEtCc 9aHSyHMCAgfQgIICKM4uy5x2pEPvMx6TOeqoUIZ8WK3dzx9Vagtu5fYVLVdcETwL uYv72pdkTva9IILk8Kamu7lnmKx9QlX2+b4GbJCyxvDEQ8M2QzGyEI6rPefnKUdn
    LlZWQdYzIduF0Pp7URGPEQtmpBdNDagG0aQL0vskDZIJP1X3tfF94trGieZIkHGn JUa6anBFMHCUkHmL5waERYH6sRdR2Cnh8av6fAeGn2OqWMZpOMKTuQBQjQNzS1Q9 mFX1sGwXf8Ls+yPiGPCME5NMvohHVve8twa2gMEikQ14IMyFfjh6JTbE+cDNQAzF GV84V5dTB2nlaQMmwTYOVa4jlHbJKaRysqE6BRvrn0/WyuaaPWQ/zs8tA0kQNHhs jyF56f1o+e/6UVB0ahpRHB4FgJHoWbOC6RQMQGg7Yn/d/Hkk9JaixXjUpP59Itss
    WBw9c1j+2S/tNVoAr5bKXJnojjHVp8qxsZR1NkEm1qsaaLiS2cgIghRWcjAofWFt AhoEFFg7I2N5OuuxvF72DaHVmXubn0ekBBQJiedDTEhKEbUhlIWXxaZeZQkWZQIC B9A= -----END CERTIFICATE-----
    </Master>
      </ServerId>
    --------------------------------------------------

    SO, at this point, my whole system is down and useless.. (Thanks MS!)

    If anyone has ANY info as to the meaning of the wrong response ie: <ID>1</ID> in step 2, I would be appreciative if you would respond..

    TIA

    tj
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:45 PM

Answers

  • Well, I was able to resolve the problem.. Still not sure why I got the odd response to step2:, or why the remote update can't find the server??

    Seems as though the "normal" method of updating the connector software doesn't always work, so, if you still have access to the <homeserver>\Software share, just go into the Home Server Connector folder and look at setup.exe.. it should have a date of 10/7/09..

    If it does, run that on each client.. It should remove the existing client, and install the new client, AND find the server..

    Worked for me on all 6 machines..

    Hope this helps..


    tj

    EDIT: Forgot to mention that the "new" WHS Connector CD.iso , is worthless in this situation.. It doesn't have the complete set of install files on it..

    Another great job by the Home Server team!!
    • Marked as answer by tjtechster Friday, November 27, 2009 9:38 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:38 PM

All replies

  • I have the same problem on 2 machines running windows vista home premium (one 32 bit and one 64 bit). 

    My biggest issue is why on earth would they push the update on Thanksgiving night? 

    Sparky
    Sparky
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Well, I was able to resolve the problem.. Still not sure why I got the odd response to step2:, or why the remote update can't find the server??

    Seems as though the "normal" method of updating the connector software doesn't always work, so, if you still have access to the <homeserver>\Software share, just go into the Home Server Connector folder and look at setup.exe.. it should have a date of 10/7/09..

    If it does, run that on each client.. It should remove the existing client, and install the new client, AND find the server..

    Worked for me on all 6 machines..

    Hope this helps..


    tj

    EDIT: Forgot to mention that the "new" WHS Connector CD.iso , is worthless in this situation.. It doesn't have the complete set of install files on it..

    Another great job by the Home Server team!!
    • Marked as answer by tjtechster Friday, November 27, 2009 9:38 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:38 PM