Windows Home Server Installation Problem - HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Hope someone can help me out with this one...

I recently installed WHS on my 3-year old computer. Everything went fine, and the whole thing looks great. I have a total of 4 disks:

1x 500GB SATA (on mobo SATA)

2x 250GB SATA (on pci-SATA controller)

1x 200GB PATA

During the installation WHS was installed on the PATA drive even though I specified the 500GB SATA drive. No bid deal, but when I add the 3 remaining drives in the WHS console, they disappear from My Computer, and the server displays the additional storage. BUT, even though the server shows apprx. 1.1TB, I only have 169GB left (the PATA drive less 20GB for operating system).

Why can I not save anything on the SATA-drives??

The drives shows up as SCSI-drive on the WHS console. I believe a VIA RAID-software was installed when I tried to install the drivers for the controller card. Does WHS not support this configuration?

I have tried everything, formatted the drivers over and over, and changed from basic to dynamic disk etc etc.

I really appreciate any help!

Thanks.

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:35 AM

Answers

•  KristianStorm wrote:

Thanks!

OK, but I only have the 169BG available on the server, even though it shows 1.1TB. I find this strange. I tried to copy 200GB of videos, and get a error message that I need 30GB of additional storage capacity.

This is why the instructions say to use the largest drive as the primary drive. Due to the way the system works, files get copied onto the primary drive first, and then moved off onto the other drives. However, because of this, the maximum file size you can copy (in one block) is the size of the free-space left on your primary drive, currently 169GB in your case above.

If you copy them in smaller chunks (just do half of the directories first, then the other half), you'll have no problems.

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:23 AM

All replies

• It's due to the way the technology works. Windows is only showing you the free space left on your 200GB PATA drive. However, in the Windows Home Server console, you can see a page showing you the total storage space available and used, and as long as that matches (Just under 1TB by my reckoning), don't worry about how much free space Windows reports, as it's wrong!

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:08 AM
  • You're seeing the black magic of Drive Extender working, nothing is wrong. Basically it comes down to "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" Wink

The extra disks you add to the storage pool are mounted as folders on the C:\ drive. They don't show up as free space in My Computer, but they're there. The WHS console Server Storage tab shows the correct amount of space you have available.

You don't actually "save" anything directly to those secondary disks. Drive Extender takes care of that for you; it moves stuff off the D:\ partition to the secondary disks as needed.

Have a read through the Drive Extender whitepaper: http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:14 AM
  • You beat me to it, Richard Smile

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:15 AM
  • Thanks!

OK, but I only have the 169BG available on the server, even though it shows 1.1TB. I find this strange. I tried to copy 200GB of videos, and get a error message that I need 30GB of additional storage capacity.

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:16 AM
  •  KristianStorm wrote:

Thanks!

This is why the instructions say to use the largest drive as the primary drive. Due to the way the system works, files get copied onto the primary drive first, and then moved off onto the other drives. However, because of this, the maximum file size you can copy (in one block) is the size of the free-space left on your primary drive, currently 169GB in your case above.

If you copy them in smaller chunks (just do half of the directories first, then the other half), you'll have no problems.

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:23 AM
  • Yeah, that's because Vista can only check what space is available on the D:\ partition; it doesn't know about the rest of the storage on the WHS.

MS recommends using the biggest disk you have as the system disk because of Vista's helpful checking.

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:24 AM
  • I see, I guess it makes sence. I thought there was a problem with the way my harddrives were installed so that WHS somehow was unable to use them.

Thanks everybody for your help! I'll try to copy in smaller chunks later on today.

Monday, February 4, 2008 9:44 AM
  • If you've not got too much stuff on already, and can be bothered to reinstall

To work around this after a couple of tries I just connected my  400gigSATA drive at installation, then added the other drives (2x250 PATA) to the pool when up and running.  About to add another 500 SATA this weekend after upgrading to OEM WHS from RTM.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 7:53 PM