Relationship between three Entities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi...

We know that, if there is a relationship say 1:N between two entities A and B then a link for B will appear at the left navigation pane of A where we can add related B records.

Now my question is I have three entities A, B and C where A and B should have a link to C of the same record. To make it clear, if I add a record of C at A then, the same record of C should link to B also and if I modify/add a C record at B then it should link to A.

Here, the entities A, B and C are Account, Case and a Custom entity let's say CustEnt.

I have seen that there is a 1:N relationship between Account and Case. I would like to link this Custom entity to Account as well as Case in such a way that if the CustEnt record is modified using the Account then it should reflect at the Case entity and viceversa.

For this I created a 1:N relationship between Account and CustEnt so that a link for CustEnt appears in the left navigation pane in the Account. Now, I created a CustEnt record from here. Now, I would like to have a link in the left nav of Case and if I click on that link it should display the same CustEnt record which I have created at Account.

Could anyone suggest me a good solution for this purpose?

-Thanks

Perfectionist
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:36 AM

Answers

• Create a link entity that contains all 3 relationships. Then it will show against each entity. The optio depending on your cust Ent would be to add a Case and Account relationship to it so it would be a common record among the Case and Account. But it does sound like you want the first option, Which means that a single cust Entity can be linked to many Accounts and also many Case. 
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi...

We know that, if there is a relationship say 1:N between two entities A and B then a link for B will appear at the left navigation pane of A where we can add related B records.

Now my question is I have three entities A, B and C where A and B should have a link to C of the same record. To make it clear, if I add a record of C at A then, the same record of C should link to B also and if I modify/add a C record at B then it should link to A.

Here, the entities A, B and C are Account, Case and a Custom entity let's say CustEnt.

I have seen that there is a 1:N relationship between Account and Case. I would like to link this Custom entity to Account as well as Case in such a way that if the CustEnt record is modified using the Account then it should reflect at the Case entity and viceversa.

For this I created a 1:N relationship between Account and CustEnt so that a link for CustEnt appears in the left navigation pane in the Account. Now, I created a CustEnt record from here. Now, I would like to have a link in the left nav of Case and if I click on that link it should display the same CustEnt record which I have created at Account.

Could anyone suggest me a good solution for this purpose?

-Thanks

Perfectionist
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:34 AM
  • Create a link entity that contains all 3 relationships. Then it will show against each entity. The optio depending on your cust Ent would be to add a Case and Account relationship to it so it would be a common record among the Case and Account. But it does sound like you want the first option, Which means that a single cust Entity can be linked to many Accounts and also many Case. 
  • Hi Clinton,

"Create a link entity that contains all 3 relationships. Then it will show against each entity" 

I am not clear with this point. Could you please tell me how to create a link between multiple entities? Yes, I want a common record between Case and Account.

-Thanks

Perfectionist
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:52 AM
  • The link entity I refer to is just a new entity like Account Case Cust Entity that you create and add all 3 relationships to it. Then this entity is what shows up in each of the related entities left hand nav pane.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:03 AM
  • If I do so, I can get the links and if I add one record to Account then, it is not linking to Case. Again, I need to maually link the same record to Case also. What I need is If I opened Account and click on the CustEntity link on the left nav and added a record say Rec1. I also have a link to Cases in the left nav. Now if I open any case then there should be a link to "CustEnt" and when clicked on that it should display the "Rec1".

Perfectionist
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:37 AM