Cant establish a connection between project pro 2010 and project server 2010 in an sp2010 farm with adfs authentication RRS feed

• Question

• We have a SharePoint Server 2010, along with Project Server 2010, farm installed with ADFS authentication correctly configured. Everything else is working fine but we are not able to establish a connection between Project Professional 2010 and Microsoft Project Server 2010 with ADFS credential. Ideally, when trying to connect from Project Professional to Project Server, it should give a login screen asking about the authentication mechanism we want to use. This login screen is not shown by the project server.

Instead it tries to redirect me at an error page which does not exist.

For example lets assume the PWA site url is

https://ServerName/PWA

Whenever I try to connect to this site using project professional it tries me to redirect at the following page

https://ServerName/_layouts/Error.aspx .

The event viewer shows that the following exception is thrown for this page

Exception information:

Exception type: FileNotFoundException

Exception message: The site https://internet.mcoe.com/_layouts/Error.aspx could not be found in the Web application SPWebApplication Name=SharePoint - 443

It does not find this page and then it simply displays en error page with heading.

“Error in  ‘/’ Application”

I am sure the problem is related to ADFS authentication because I have tried to establish a connection without ADFS keeping everything else same. And that worked.

Any pointer, troubleshooting technique or insight on this???

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mayur,

What do you mean when you say you try to connect to the PWA using Project Professional? Do you mean creating a project server account in MPP and selecting that account when you start up MPP? Using this process you would stay in MPP. Why then would you be redirected to a page?  

Or do you mean you are trying to open Project Professional from the PWA? In that case, are you sure the user has the correct Project Server permissions to login with Project Professional? Have you already created an account for the PWA in Project Professional.

Regards,

Quint

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Hi Mayur,

What do you mean when you say you try to connect to the PWA using Project Professional? Do you mean creating a project server account in MPP and selecting that account when you start up MPP? Using this process you would stay in MPP. Why then would you be redirected to a page?  

Or do you mean you are trying to open Project Professional from the PWA? In that case, are you sure the user has the correct Project Server permissions to login with Project Professional? Have you already created an account for the PWA in Project Professional.

Regards,

Quint

Hi Quint,

What i want to do is i want to edit a plan in a PWA site from project professional 2010 client.

This can be done by creating an account in project pro by giving the url of the PWA site and selecting it. In 2010, it should open a browser window which asks us to choose the authentication provider (windows, FBA, ADFS). This same browser page can be seen in the browser when we try to access the PWA site.

I am not getting this browser window in my ADFS setup. I have tried the same thing in a farm with FBA and i get the required browser window.

In ADFS i get an error which we generally see in browser windows

Error in  ‘/’ Application”. 

And when i check the event viewer i see that its trying me to redirect at that error page.

Hope you understood the problem. Kindly revert back if m not clear.

Mayur

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hi Mayur,

I'm not familiar with this behavior. If I select an account in MPP it just continues in MPP. No browser window is opened and I'm not asked to choose the authentication provider. I guess this may be because you have configured multiple authentication providers and I have no experience with such a setup.

Sorry, I can't help you any further.

Good luck,

Quint

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:44 PM
  • No prob quint, Thanks for trying.

Mayur

Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Mayur,

Do you have any progress on this issue?

Monday, August 29, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:22 AM