Windows Home Server and One Care RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I saw a few people complaining about One Care not being a Full Computer Backup Program.  I have recently built a windows home server machine that does.  My Question is why doesn't one care see that home server is doing full back-ups and turn it's self off?  BTW I just turned it off in the settings on one care.....it has been annoying me for a few days and I finally figured out how. Smile

I have another question regarding the server.....Should one care be installed on that.....if so is there a way to install it in the headless configuration?

Thank you,

Matt Morgano

Sunday, December 16, 2007 10:00 PM

Answers

• If you install OneCare after you have set up Windows Home Server, OneCare detects it and suggests that you turn off OneCare backup. It will not see WHS if you set that up after OneCare has been installed.

No, you can't install OneCare on WHS.

-steve

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:19 PM
  •  

Nevermind I forgot that i was in one care live forums!!  I could use the help if someone wants to answer but will mark this post as answered. 
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:14 AM
  • Home Server is way cool, isn't it? I've got an HP box on order from Amazon.

The login on each machine can match User Names on the server for the Shares. You can manage the User settings on WHS individually. My wife has read access to all of the Shares and can only write to her own Share.

The forum for WHS is excellent - check it out: http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:23 AM
  •  

I just turned off one care backup so that it no longer warned me that i needed to do backups.......of course you could uninstall one care and reinstall to achieve the same thing but all it is doing is turning that off I think.

Matt

Monday, January 21, 2008 12:19 AM

All replies

• If you install OneCare after you have set up Windows Home Server, OneCare detects it and suggests that you turn off OneCare backup. It will not see WHS if you set that up after OneCare has been installed.

-steve

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:19 PM
  •  

Thanks Steve,

Now that I have been using WHS for a few days now I must say I absolutlely LOVE it.  I have built 2 other vista machines and I did full updates and installed a few programs and HSC and ran a backup of that and when i got home from work i shut it down put in a different hard disk and ran restore cd and volia it was just like it was.  PERFECT!!

I have a few more questions though.  Can that one backup be saved to cd or dvd or just set not to delete but still delete the others(weekly monthly etc)?  Nevermind i found this answer.

One of my goals for whs was the above and the other was to store my media in one place which i have done.  I can put the files in the respective places and set permissions for remote users etc. but since the connect software installs on all my home computers and logs in as administrator then the shares in windows explorer are with full access for those computers.  Did I miss something or is there another setting that has to be set?  I would like family members to put files in public for me to move to the media folders or to their own folders for me to move later.  I am more worried about them deleting the files though as i am only storing on WHS machine now.  I have spent countless hrs organizing the music directories and tags and don't want them changed or deleted is what brings this all up.  The remote access part works fine as I had a friend try to delete something.  Do I have everything wrong or does every computer with WHSC software connect as an admin and give those permissions of full access?

Thank you,

Matt Morgano   

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:10 AM
  •  

Nevermind I forgot that i was in one care live forums!!  I could use the help if someone wants to answer but will mark this post as answered. 
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:14 AM
  • Home Server is way cool, isn't it? I've got an HP box on order from Amazon.

The login on each machine can match User Names on the server for the Shares. You can manage the User settings on WHS individually. My wife has read access to all of the Shares and can only write to her own Share.

The forum for WHS is excellent - check it out: http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:23 AM
  • Thanks again,

I don't understand yet but i am headed over to the right forums to ask there.  Yes the home server is cool.  I love it so far and am restoring my 3 disk raid 0 array on my computer now.  wanted to take a disk out and only use 2 but it doesn't work that way.  I got the drivers and all but i am guessing because the size was smaller it wouldn't restore to it?  I am thinking about converting the array to dynamic and making the partition smaller than 2 of the drives and trying again.

All my posts regarding these issues will be on the other forums,

Thanks again Stephen,

Matt Morgano

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:50 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

If you install OneCare after you have set up Windows Home Server, OneCare detects it and suggests that you turn off OneCare backup. It will not see WHS if you set that up after OneCare has been installed.

-steve

I already have One Care 2.0 running on my PCs (home network). I want to build a WHS box and connect it into my home network as well.

How do I set up my One Care so that it sees my WHS as the preferred back up device instead?

Monday, January 21, 2008 12:15 AM
  •  

I just turned off one care backup so that it no longer warned me that i needed to do backups.......of course you could uninstall one care and reinstall to achieve the same thing but all it is doing is turning that off I think.

Matt

Monday, January 21, 2008 12:19 AM
  •  Raznation wrote:
    I already have One Care 2.0 running on my PCs (home network). I want to build a WHS box and connect it into my home network as well.

How do I set up my One Care so that it sees my WHS as the preferred back up device instead?

Matt's reply is correct. Simply turn off the OneCare backup.

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:37 AM
  • Thanks! That works for me.

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:46 PM